Passport Stamped

jattindc1

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone, Got the approvel letter in the mail,Visited local center with two recent pictures ,they took fresh fingure prints and kept EAD and RTD they said you don't need it now and stamped the passport with validity of one year and said you will get your permanent Resident card with in 12 months,Does anybody knows what's all about and they said you can travel even to your home country.Is it safe to travel?
Thanks in advance

Originally posted by jattindc1
Hello everyone, Got the approvel letter in the mail,Visited local center with two recent pictures ,they took fresh fingure prints and kept EAD and RTD they said you don't need it now and stamped the passport with validity of one year and said you will get your permanent Resident card with in 12 months,Does anybody knows what's all about and they said you can travel even to your home country.Is it safe to travel?
Thanks in advance

Congratulations,

What is the receipt date on your I-485?

I should have got mine but i`m still waiting a notice from BCIS to do some explanations.Its all sacks

Questions regarding when visiting the BCIS office after I-485 is approved and visa number is available.

What are the REQUIRED documents for this appointment at BCIS office?

The reason I am asking is for those people who do not have EAD and have no need for a RTD and for obvious reasons can not have the Passport of the home country what is required?

Why would BCIS keep the EAD as (only GOD knows when the GC will arrive) and what is the logic in keeping the RTD?

I have not received my approval yet and my case status on line is not updated like Sessanga but I am trying to be proactive to ensure that I have the documents needed for that appointment.

I would really not want to apply for the home country PASSPORT but would someone be kind enough to let me know what will be the benefit of having a passport of home country and what will be the disadvanate in case someone does not have it.....

Wishing that this process speeds up .......

Regards,

Originally posted by RAsylee
Questions regarding when visiting the BCIS office after I-485 is approved and visa number is available.

What are the REQUIRED documents for this appointment at BCIS office?

The reason I am asking is for those people who do not have EAD and have no need for a RTD and for obvious reasons can not have the Passport of the home country what is required?

Why would BCIS keep the EAD as (only GOD knows when the GC will arrive) and what is the logic in keeping the RTD?

I have not received my approval yet and my case status on line is not updated like Sessanga but I am trying to be proactive to ensure that I have the documents needed for that appointment.

I would really not want to apply for the home country PASSPORT but would someone be kind enough to let me know what will be the benefit of having a passport of home country and what will be the disadvanate in case someone does not have it.....

Wishing that this process speeds up .......

Regards,

According to previous forums,you don`t have to have a passport or RTD with you when you go for stamping all you need is a DL because they issue you I-94 card on which Permanent resident is stamped.

As you mentioned i neither see any logic to confisicate your RTD because you are going to need it anyway.I can understand the EAD card to be confisicated.

Rtd

Yes You do'nt need RTD once get your passport stamped.Because t works as your permanent Resident card
P.S
I'm not a Lawyer Please consult a attorney

I-94

Permanent Resident don't need I-94.They Just need a permanent resident Card.
Desclaiamer: I;m not a Lawyer consult a attorney

Thanks in advance

Hi jattindc1,
Congratulations. Can you please tell us which "passport" you are talking about when you say that "stamped the passport with validity of one year"?. Did you mean your "national passport"? ....if yes, did you have a valid national passport ? ....or did you get it renewed? Did the local immig. office any questions about it.

Thanks for your help,
Jameel

Rasylee:

It is OK if you have neither a RTD or your national passport. They will issue you a special I-94 with your photo on it. This will serve as your PR card until the actual plastic card is processed. All you need to bring to the BCIS is the approval notice and IDs.

You actually DO need your RTD or a Reentry Permit after I-485 approval. The reason is most countries in the workd require a passport-like document for entry. Since most of us are not able (or willing ) to use our national passports, the RTD is our "passports". I have never heard of BCIS taking away the RTD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks in advance

Hi jattindc1,

Congratulations!
You said:"and they said you can travel even to your home country.Is it safe to travel?" could you please explain this ?
What I mean, is did some officer at BSIC tell you explicitly
that it is ok to travel to the home country?
thx.

Do NOT go back

A close friend of mine was stupid enough to go back and the government is asking him to re-prove his asylum case all over again

I checked with three different lawyers and they all said do not go back until you are a citizen (unless the government there changes for the better).

It does not matter what a BCIS clerk might have told you. You do not have it in writing. If you get in trouble later and bring up that clerk's statement as an excuse, would they believe you?

Think about the efforts it took you to earne our GC. Do you want to risk it?

Originally posted by miami2002
Do NOT go back

A close friend of mine was stupid enough to go back and the government is asking him to re-prove his asylum case all over again

I checked with three different lawyers and they all said do not go back until you are a citizen (unless the government there changes for the better).

It does not matter what a BCIS clerk might have told you. You do not have it in writing. If you get in trouble later and bring up that clerk's statement as an excuse, would they believe you?

Hi miami2002,
thanks for the prompt reply. Wow, this is definitely news to me.

I have left my home country in '92 in the midst of a civil war. The situation there is much more stable now (the war is long over), but since I am waiting for the green card, I haven't attemped to go back since then. My family is still there though, and I can't wait to see them. Could you please elaborate on what you said "unless the government there changes for the better".?

I am sorry to hear about your friend. That is really too bad. Did he go back to the home country after obtaining the green card, and if so did he travel with the INS issued travel document? How did INS know he went back?

thx for the reply.

Passport

Hi room as earlier I said this was a deritive asylee case and they stamped National Passport which is valid till 2007 and officer asked for I-94 and RTD.I think going back to your home country for a deriative asylee should not be a problem,because deriative relative is not a Principal applicant.Please comment about the situation.
Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer:I'm not a lawyer please consult a attorney for advise.

Re: Passport

Hi room as earlier I said this was a deritive asylee case and they stamped National Passport which is valid till 2007 and officer asked for I-94 and RTD.I think going back to your home country for a deriative asylee should not be a problem,because deriative relative is not a Principal applicant.Please comment about the situation.
Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer:I'm not a lawyer please consult a attorney for advise.

Gilbert, would u pls make a comment?
Thanx!

Originally posted by miami2002
Do NOT go back

Well it depends on the country . For example, if you are from the former Yugoslavia, i think you would be fine. However, if things did not change in your country, then you may be assumed to be fake. As Gilbert indicated before, they wont cancel your asylum status right away but they will make you go through a hearing. If you feel that you will be safe going home, do it. That is the ultimate reference point for me. Unfortunately, I am certain that i would be killed if i go back so i wont take the chance.

Re: Re: Passport

Originally posted by kelvin2088
Gilbert, would u pls make a comment?
Thanx!

Kelvin,

I would NOT go back personally. The BCIS has been doing stranger and stranger things to immigrants these days. Someone here just reported that the BCIS believes he committed fraud on his visa application. I am just NOT giving the BCIS an excuse to make my life miserable at some point in the future. Just bear in mind that if they concluded for whatever reason that you lied on your asylum application, the penalty is PERMANENT exclusion from the US.

I worked very hard to become a LPR and will not put that at risk.

The risk of getting caught is high and the penalty if convicted is losing your asylee status. But the IIO cannot remove your status on site. There will be a hearing and an immigration judge will make a decision.
Personally I wouldn't go through all that trouble just to relief my homesickness.

Passport

I understand about principal applicant, But this is about Derative,and relative gone through the process in home country consular visa.
Thanks for response.

Re: Passport

I understand about principal applicant, But this is about Derative,and relative gone through the process in home country consular visa.
Thanks for response.

I understand your point, but you are handing the BCIS a prime excuse to reevaluate you. It is not as bad as playing the Russian roulette, but you must be a very risk-seeking person to do something like this in this political climate.

In the past year, BCIS denials and revocations of all types of immigration benefit have jumped substantially. The Bush Administration has a "zero tolerance" policy. First, this means that they will go after people immigration-wise on the sligtest pretext. Second, BCIS staff, which no longer enjoy the sort of union protections they had under the INS, have been told bluntly they will be punished for mistakes they make and awarded for exceptional work. Finding possible asylum fraud is a good way to boost one's BCIS career.

The smart thing to do now is to avoid unnecessary official attention.