Passport Stamped

longGC

Registered Users (C)
Today I stamped my passport. It was quick and easy. As per the tradition of this forum I am describing some experience in detail.

I went to local USCIS office in downtown Atlana (77 Forsyth St.). I showed the approval letter and officer asked me about passport. I-94 was attached to my passport. I gave 2 ADIT photos. Officer asked about my EAD and I gave the current one. The approval document tells to bring passport, 2 ADIT photos and I-94 but does not tell you to bring EAD and AP.

The officer asked me my previous EADs. I told that they are expired and I do not have them. Officer asked me to mail the same and gave me a sky blue colored envelope with USCIS addressed printed on it. Later the officer asked about my AP and I told the same reason that the AP had expired and that is why I did not feel important to bring with me. Officer asked me to include that in the envelope. I guess, they want to make sure that the EADs and APs even if expired, do not get misused if they get in wrong hands.

The officer asked me to sign a form and took finger print of right indexed finger. Officer stamped I-551 with a validity of 1 year. I am experiencing sort of new life now..... :p ;)

I asked the question about minor and this is what I learnt.

Minor children below age 14 are not required to be physically present for passport stamping. Also, it is not mandatory to stamp passport. ( If you can wait until arrival of plastic card and if you are not travelling before the card's arrival then passport stamping is optional). Stamp acts as a temporary proof until you get the plastic card. The plastic card can be obtained by filling form I-89.

The following information is useful only to those who are in Atlanta, GA.

I arrived at local USCIS office in downtowan at 77 Forsyth St. at 7:07 am. Coming from north, take I-85/I-75 south and get on exit 248a Martin Luther King Rd. Turn right and go about half a mile until you intersect Forsyth st. Turn left and the USCIS building is immediately on your right. But parking is located across street from USCIS so turn left into paid parking (private) lot.

At the entrance you will go through a security check. They will ask you to sign there and will see your picture ID. There were only 3 people ahead of me. The rest of the crowd was already screened and was waiting in a queue inside. You will go through a metal detector and your stuff will be scanned in X-ray machine.

You proceed to the queue where they will issue a token number. There were 15 to 17 people already in front of me and it took about 10 minutes for me to get my turn. There were two officer (ladies) at the counter in a black uniform. She saw my approval letter and gave me a small white ticket with number printed in blue ink. She asked me to proceed to room no. 111 located on the same floor.

When I went inside the room, there were already about 50 to 60 people waiting. They were all sitting in a nice cushioned seats. There are three queues on electronic counter, C,D and E. There are 8 counters (desks) numbered 1 to 8 but only three officers were present. They were in white uniform. All the officers were taking queues from C, D or E ( No one officer was assigned to a particular queue). It was taking about 10 to 15 minutes for an officer to advance a number.

Two officers were ladies, one white and one African. The man was white with a beard in his late 50's. My turn came in an about 2 1/2 hours. The expereince is described earlier.

I would like to add some more points here. The guy sitting next to me had stepped out to restroom. When he returned he missed his turn by around 30 seconds. I told him that his number was displayed on the electronic counter and just advanced. He rushed to the man and handed over the token. Officer asked reason for delay. The next person in queue arrived and stood behind him. Officer took token, went inside and gave another token way at the end of queue. The officer took the next person in queue. The guy sitting next to me had simply wasted his 2 hours.

Another person had to go and get a new photograph done for his daughter. He had come for her renewal of GC as she just turned 14. She had to do another photograph as her earrings were showing. (very tiny ones present at the time of photograph). The interesting thing is it took 30 minutes for them to arrive and the bearded man waited for them but did not take anyone else during that time! :confused: :eek: :eek: :( :mad:

Parking-There are two parking lots across the street. If you are standing at the door of USCIS then the one across on left is covered multi-storey parking lot. The one on right hand side next to it is an uncovered, unsofisticated lot. The covered parking is $7 for whole day. They charge $3 for first 30 minutes and $6 for first hour. The one on right hand side is $5 for the whole day, $2 for first 30 minutes and $4 for first hour. However, these guys do not reserve your spot if you happen to leave and come back later. They force you to pay again. :mad: :eek:

Only one person is taken per ticket. Each memebr of family would need a separate ticket.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

longGC, you are a kind man. As an Atlantan, I thank you. The directions and the details of the interiors and exteriors of the office as well at the human front(if I may call them that, heartless as they are), is indeed going to help us all. I am going to save your write up for future references. I have to go for my FP in July, don't know whether it is the same office. Thanks once again for your truly helpful deeds and wish you and your family the very best!! :)

Oh! Great News.

I did not know you got approved. You are good man. God is always helps good people. I felt really happy.

Thanks for sharing the detailed info. I would be very helpful for atlanta folks. Best wishes for you and keep visiting the forum once in a while.

Card Ordered

Received e-mail today (saturday early morning) that the card has been ordered on July 02, 2004. (I am of opinion that status updaters are contract workers and work in shifts and on week ends too).

The e-mail is as follows,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The following is the latest information on your case status

Receipt Number: SRC01212xxxxx

Application Type: I485 , Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On July 2, 2004, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision or advice from USCIS within the projected processing time frame*, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

National Customer Service Center (800) 375-5283.

*The projected processing time frame can be found on the receipt notice that you received from the USCIS.
*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations to u and family.

Glad to hear it that finally all things went smooth.

about expired EAD.... that was strange...... anyway..... just make sure u get a Post office receipt and keep proof on ur records.

My understanding is that the TSC office remain open on Saturdays and they close on Sunday and Monday.

Good LUck

Hi LongGC,
Congrats again ! Enjoy your golden time now.
Her sir here is my experience with my stamping,
I just got mine stamped from OKlahoma city last week, the officer did not stamp passport, instead she stamped in white piece of paper( more likely it looks like a middle part of the I 94 card) with my picture , made it valid for a permanent resident for 1 year till getting the card, even did not take my ead or I 94 card , so I am wondering if I did get the right documents for travel or or not till my original card arrives.
Thanks for all your attention .

Received a mail today that card has been mailed. The mail reads like this,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The following is the latest information on your case status

Receipt Number: SRC01XXXxxxx

Application Type: I485 , Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On July 8, 2004, the card order was completed and we mailed the applicant's new card directly to him or her. If 14 days have passed and you have not received this card, you may wish to verify or update your address. To update your address, please call the National Customer Service
Center at (800) 375-5283.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision or advice from USCIS within the projected processing time frame*, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

National Customer Service Center (800) 375-5283.

*The projected processing time frame can be found on the receipt notice that you received from the USCIS.
*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks LongGC, Your instructions were very helpful as i got the GC stamped yesterday.
They took all EADs,APs,I-94. It took 2 hrs for the whole process.
6:30-8:30AM.

lallo kumar said:
Thanks LongGC, Your instructions were very helpful as i got the GC stamped yesterday. They took all EADs,APs,I-94. It took 2 hrs for the whole process. 6:30-8:30AM.
You must have been right behind me then, if you got your passport stamped in ATL :) What was your ticket #?

Got passport stamped in Atlanta this morning, waited for two hrs, took 2 min to stamp.

Thank you guys for all kind suggestions.

eltoro said:
You must have been right behind me then, if you got your passport stamped in ATL :) What was your ticket #?

306,307,308 and you i guess desi husband and wife if i remember correctly.
Good find anyway and congrats.