Passport stamped, but laid off :( "Gurus pl. help"

PR-status

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
My 485 got approved and I recently got my passport stamped with 1 year validity, now I am laid-off from the company that applied for my GC.

I have the following questions, please help:
Q1. I have been working in the semiconductor area, should my next job be in the same field? What are the limitations?

Q2. If I work part-time as a consultant (using 1099 Misc), can I also apply for unemployment benefit and not jeopardize getting my green card? (Please note that I still have not received my green card yet.)

Q3. If I decide to relocate back home (India) after I get my green card, then can I come back to the US with the card after 2 or 3 months. i.e., how can I keep the card valid for some time when I am out of the US for some time.

Q4. If I have to travel outside of the US and come back, what do I answer for my current employment status while at the port of entry?

Your time and help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1) You can work anywhere you want. No limitations, as long as they don't require that you are a US citizen. :D

2) If you don't work, you can apply for unemployment now. If you get a prt time job, I don't think you would qualify for unemployment benefits.

3) You can leave the US for less than 6 months without any problems. If you plan to leave for more than 6 months, you must apply for a reentry permit before you leave the US. This will let you leave for up to a year, after which time you will need to apply for a new reentry permit valid for another 6 months. You cannot be gone for more than 2 years, even if you had valid reentry permits the whole time.

4) Tell them the truth. If you're unemployed at the time of entry, there is nothing wrong with that, you are a US permanent resident now.

After GC you have to show the "intent" of working for the employer who sponsored you. Now, if they lay you off that is not a problem at all. You showed your best intent. But keep the letter of lay off with you so that you could show later(during citizenship or gc renewal) as proof, in case they ask. You are good to work anywhere in any field. I would not worry about it.

One Answer to all your questions:
No Problem.
I have a question for you.
Relocate to India and be back in 3 months??? why and how?
If you say you want to take off for 3 months and travel... fine..... relocate for 3 months!!!???

Thanks for all the answers curiousGeorge and coolchap.
peace_of_mind, In case if I do not get a job with in the next few months, I might plan to move back to India for good.
I have been in the US for 8 yrs and if it is kind of hard for me to settle in India, then I might plan to come back again. Just wanted to know if there are any precaution to follow to the keep the GC valid for some time.

curiousGeorge, one question for you:
If I dont get any job, can I apply for unemployment benefit and not jeopardize getting my green card? (Please note that I still have not received my green card yet.). i.e., Can INS find that I am unemployed at this time and do something to my GC.
May be its a stupid question, but your answer would help me from guessing things and panicking.

Thanks

PR-status,
If you want to stay, I'm sure you can find work again. If you're an IC designer (especially analog), there's enough work on the West/Southwest if you're willing to relocate. I can help if you want.

Thanks maybesomeday. I am from EDA technical training area and its hard to find an opening in the same field, so I must either look for a job in another field or wait till an appropriate opening comes in my field. I would rather go for option 1 that just hoping and I am willing to relocate.

PR-status said:
Thanks maybesomeday. I am from EDA technical training area and its hard to find an opening in the same field, so I must either look for a job in another field or wait till an appropriate opening comes in my field. I would rather go for option 1 that just hoping and I am willing to relocate.
I suppose you've already looked into the some of the big guys: Cadence, Synopsys, etc. There's a few smaller company's based out of Colorado I seem to remember as well. I'll keep an eye out for you.
I've heard good things about magma (magma-da.com). They have some apps openings for which you might be a fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
PR-status said:
curiousGeorge, one question for you:
If I dont get any job, can I apply for unemployment benefit and not jeopardize getting my green card? (Please note that I still have not received my green card yet.). i.e., Can INS find that I am unemployed at this time and do something to my GC.
May be its a stupid question, but your answer would help me from guessing things and panicking.

Thanks

Your status is approved, and you have a stamp to prove it, the card is just a formality, and an easier and more official way to show proof that you are a permanent resident. The card does not give you any different status or rights than what you already can prove with your passport stamp, so it makes no difference if you file for UI now or later, your status will still be the same.

The UI people MAY want to see your card, and determine that the stamp is not sufficient proof, this I am not sure about. This is a different issue than the status itself, this is just the quality of the proof that they may require for you to claim this benefit. Your card should arrive soon.

maybesomeday,
I did apply for CDN, SNPS, Tauras Systems (all three companies require 6+ yrs of experience if in the US). MENT is not hiring, CDN and SNPS have openings in India though.
Magma has openings for AEs (but mostly looking for new college grads), I applied...and no calls.

I fall between the two ranges and it is kind of difficult (not under entry level and not with 6+ yrs of experience either).

Do let me know, if you know of any company (even start ups) that I could apply for.

Thx.