Passport Stamp or Card ?

gime gc

Registered Users (C)
Hello friends,
My wife is currently in India and she has her passport stamped.
But , I am expecting that she will get her physical (plastic) card some time this month.She will be returning back next month.
Is it ok for her to show just the stamp when she already has received her card ? Does stamp become invalid by any chance when u receive card ? Will officer at POE insist on showing Card ?

Appreciate u'r feedback....

Hi

Not sure of this... this is what I have heard from a friend who had a collegue's family travelling from INdia ... (they had both card and the stamp) ...

Most Euro countries recognize the card only ... stamp alone without card is not enough ...

I don't agree

The stamp is accepted all over the world...incase you are having problem talk to the supervisor.
I had asked the same question to the travel agent about it.
As per him the stamp is recognised by every literate country( he actually laughed at me

Both stamping in the passport and the card are the same but card is preferrable. The reason is, the passport stamping doesn't bear your picture. So the POE officers have to do additional checking(this scenario is a year ago), and it will take additional time.

Whereas, the card is very convenient as the POE has to just send it to the card reader and in a matter of seconds you will be out.

Apart from that, I haven't heard any european country prefers card for the passport stamping. My friends have gone several times before they got the cards thro' Europe and never reported anything strange(even after 9/11).

Last edited by a moderator:
Switzerland

Originally posted by Raj Chandra
Apart from that, I haven't heard any european country prefers card for the passport stamping. My friends have gone several times before they got the cards thro' Europe and never reported anything strange(even after 9/11).

Check the visa requirements for Switzerland - they do not accept the stamping as a valid document to enter their country.

For transit

at Switzerland, they will recognise the Stamp. If you decide to stay for couple of days, then you might need a visa if you just have a stamp

So Stamp is valid

So I am safely assuming that Stamp in the passport is valid even after you receive plastic card, until it is expired.

What to do after Approval Notice ?

Hi,

I got my passport stamped with I-551 at INS San Francisco. This AOS was through my wife. So far I am on H1B with my empolyer. What steps/notification I have to do after this.

e.g. Do I have to inform my empolyer about my AOS ? or inform Social Security office. I dont have a physical card it.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks