Passport - Routine Service vs Expedite service

CrossHairs

Registered Users (C)
What is the current times it is taking (based on people's experience) when you apply for passport Routine service vs Expedite service.

(travel.state.gov does give "timelines", I am looking for practical info from forum folks here)

Does the time vary based on "city or location you apply from"?

I dont have any "urgent" travel need, but if routine service would take like a really long time, then I dont mind paying extra to expedite. If within 10-15 days it will arrive with routine service, then that should be good enough for me.

Official listing says:

If you apply today And Choose What to expect

Routine Service We will process your application in less than 4 weeks from the time of application

Expedited Service***
Plus Overnight delivery service for:
Sending your application and Returning your passport to you We will process your application in 2 weeks

I think they are faster than this in practice, right?

just go to your local U.S. Passport Agency and you will get your
passport on the same day(or the next morning). they charge the
same expedited $60 fee
. call their toll-free number and make an
appointment.

:)

show them a copy of an airline reservation for internation flight
departing in the next 10 days. easiest way is to call an airline, make
the reservation, get the confirmation#, then print the reservation from the
airline's website

the best part is that you won't have to worry about your
naturalization certificate getting lost or bent in the mail. the passport
agency will give you back your certificate with new USA passport in a nice
big envelope!

Last edited by a moderator:
airline's website

And then cancel the reservation after applying?

Dont they need "confirmed tickets" or you can just "reserve", show it and then cancel reservation?

Isnt it more hassle to do this?

Come on ;) Compared with N-400 the passport wait is a breeze :) I would say that most current posts have indicated about a couple of weeks for routine. However, there might be differences across the country. Definitely the expedited gives you a better guarantee of delivery within a certain number of days, but nowadays I don't think it is justified to pay the extra money for this, when routine is pretty good.

My 2 cents.

Come on ;) Compared with N-400 the passport wait is a breeze :) I would say that most current posts have indicated about a couple of weeks for routine. However, there might be differences across the country. Definitely the expedited gives you a better guarantee of delivery within a certain number of days, but nowadays I don't think it is justified to pay the extra money for this, when routine is pretty good.

My 2 cents.

If routine is couple of weeks, then Yes! I agree with you.

But thats what I wanted to gauge: Is routine 2 weeks give or take a few days based on current threads? I havent followed them too closely. Its the trade off I'm looking at.

If routine is going to take 4 weeks, and expedite 1 week, then I dont mind paying $60 extra.
If routine is approx 2 weeks, and expedite 1 week, then I dont want expedite.

And then cancel the reservation after applying?

Dont they need "confirmed tickets" or you can just "reserve", show it and then cancel reservation?

Isnt it more hassle to do this?

just whatever you print off the airline's website... a reservation with your name and int'l flight number on it. the reservation does not have to be ticketed... (hint: United) the passport agency will only take a quick glance at it.

like I said, you get your passport on the same day or next morning...

I don't want to jump on the moral high horse, but I think that the passport agency should be left for legitimate urgent cases. This print the reservation without intention of taking the trip and go get the passport at the agency office seems to be disrespectful to people who actually have a need for that kind of service. I am also afraid that if the practice of cheating on this extends, the passport agency might crackdown on the practice, making things harder for legitimate applicants. I think 8 days for a routine passport should is fast enough that one should not lower himself/herself to make "fake" trip reservations.

Very true, since May (and in June as well) it has been taking 7-8 calendar days to get the Passport in normal service..... that is phenomenal.

Actually - it depends on where you live. I think here on the East Coast - especially if the application goes to the Philadelphia/Boston locations - it will take slightly longer than that.

I have noticed that those who get normal processing within 8 days or less are in the mid-west and southern states where I believe the new production facility was built.

I paid $60 for the expedite and got my passport in 9 days - it took a few days just to clear the data entry process - but once they began processing it, it literally took 1 day to make and send the passport over. This makes me think the volume is higher in the highly populated areas.

However - overall - in today's environment - there is really no need to use the Passport Agency or expedite applications as routine services is less than 2 weeks.

I don't want to jump on the moral high horse, but I think that the passport agency should be left for legitimate urgent cases. This print the reservation without intention of taking the trip and go get the passport at the agency office seems to be disrespectful to people who actually have a need for that kind of service. I am also afraid that if the practice of cheating on this extends, the passport agency might crackdown on the practice, making things harder for legitimate applicants. I think 8 days for a routine passport should is fast enough that one should not lower himself/herself to make "fake" trip reservations.

This isn't a "high horse" case - but rather straight forward. I completely agree - these fraudulent activities - and yes it is a form of fraud - are the kind of things that cause problems for a majority of people who honestly use a service.

Actually - it depends on where you live. I think here on the East Coast - especially if the application goes to the Philadelphia/Boston locations - it will take slightly longer than that.

I have noticed that those who get normal processing within 8 days or less are in the mid-west and southern states where I believe the new production facility was built.

I paid $60 for the expedite and got my passport in 9 days - it took a few days just to clear the data entry process - but once they began processing it, it literally took 1 day to make and send the passport over. This makes me think the volume is higher in the highly populated areas.

However - overall - in today's environment - there is really no need to use the Passport Agency or expedite applications as routine services is less than 2 weeks.

Thanks for that info.

Seattle folks: Do you know how long "routine service" is taking these days?

just go to your local U.S. Passport Agency and you will get your
passport on the same day(or the next morning). they charge the
same expedited $60 fee
. call their toll-free number and make an
appointment.

airline's website

the best part is that you won't have to worry about your
naturalization certificate getting lost or bent in the mail. the passport
agency will give you back your certificate with new USA passport in a nice
big envelope!

Isn't that called ABUSING the system?

LolaLi,

7-8 Calendar days in the East Coast, Washington DC Metro area. Though I have noticed that in June (more toward the end), the passport end-to-end process for a normal processing is now 7-8 business days, still pretty good.

LolaLi,

7-8 Calendar days in the East Coast, Washington DC Metro area. Though I have noticed that in June (more toward the end), the passport end-to-end process for a normal processing is now 7-8 business days, still pretty good.

I agree. This is what I have experienced.

Passport Received

LolaLi,

Applied : June 19th regular processing at Post office
Check cashed on June 25th
Passport issue date :June 25th
Received today via priority mail (mailed from SFO)
I did not pay more for more overnight processing or for expedited. Received the Nat. certificate in the same envelope (large priority mail unfolded). Except the staple hole made by the post office to attach it to my application :-(

LolaLi,

Hi koolvik7 -

That is good news then for everyone. There is certainly no reason for expediting any more.

I guess we will never know why it took me 9 calendar days with expedite processing! I can't even ask for the $60 back because they cover themselves with the 2 weeks clause for expedited service. :rolleyes: