Passport required for interview?

jaime00

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I lost my passport long long time ago, and did not renew it (it was expired anyways). I may have the interview soon. Is this a big problem?

thanks

In my interview letter, one of the items it asked me to bring along for the interview was:

Your passport and/or any other documents you used in connection with any entries into the United States.

In my case, the officer did ask for my passport before he started the interview. He made a photocopy of it and returned it to me.

Not sure if you could get away with just showing them your expired passport.

..... and on top you didn't apply for a "stateless" passport via the department of state which is legally required to issue you one.

Wouldn't it be great to have all the facts in the initial post?

Dont worry about a lost passport

Hello everyone,

I lost my passport long long time ago, and did not renew it (it was expired anyways). I may have the interview soon. Is this a big problem?

thanks

I had the same problem as you when I went to my interview a month ago.
I had lost my long ago expired passport. When the USCIS officer asked for it I just explained that I lost it long time ago and I havent traveled outside the U.S. since. It was no problem,t he officer just took noted and we continued with the interview. Dont swett it.

06/25/07 N-400 mailed
07/11/07 Received per online case status
07/06/07 Priority Date
07/16/07 Check Cashed
07/24/07 I-797C Notice Date
07/25/07 FP Notice received
08/14/07 FP Date/Completed
11/22/07 Interview Notice received
01/10/08 Interview Date/Completed
01/31/08 Oath Notice
02/26/08 Oath Date - San Francisco Masonic

just so you know every adjudication officer is different. One will be cool for not having a passport while the other may not. It's better to get a passport if at all possible.

Ummm... As asylees is is highly advised to NOT get a passport as that would indirectly mean that we are seeking that country's protection. And how can you be doing that if you have declared asylum from them out of fear of persecution. So the IO will have to live with that answer.

Sorry - wrong.

I did a lot of reading on that subject. The host country is obligated to issue a "stateless" passport - period.

Who ever runs around w/o a passport simply hasn't done his/her homework and there is ZERO excuse for not having your papers in order.

I was ask for my Passport at my Interview and I had written 0 Days out of the country on my N-400 so I showed her my expired and current passport and she was ok with that.

Can you give them an expired passport? Or does it have to be valid?

They ask for the Passport to verify when you traveled in and out of the country and for how long right?

And if so, and I am applying under military where it does not matter about how much time I Spent out of the country (which is 0 personal days)(quite a few military days)is a passport still necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on the IO. When i went for my interview, i had my old and new passport. The IO didnt even asked for it, just my GC and Drivers license.I went to Greece 5 years ago and he just asked me if that was the only travelling i did and i said yes. Then he just went on with the interview