Passport Renewal !

JJ Agarwal

Registered Users (C)
Can any body please let me know when can a passport be renewed here in the U.S.? My passport is expiring in May 2002. Can I get it renewed right now before stamping it for green card? If yes then what is the procedure at Indian Consulate in New York City? Please respond I would appreciate.

Thanks

No Title

>Can any body please let me know when can a passport be renewed here in the U.S.? My passport is expiring in May 2002.

Usually in the last 6 months of your passport expiry most people get their passports renewed (Mine expires on Feb Dec 2001 and I am getting renewed this month).

>Can I get it renewed right now before stamping it for green card?

I suggest you better do renewal before your I485 approves and before you go for stamping. If your I485 is already approved make your own call.

> If yes then what is the procedure at Indian Consulate in New York City?

You can visit Indian Embassy\'s website at "http://www.indianembassy.org" and find out. If you are in new england or NY, NJ Pensylvania you could apply at NY (the site above wold tell you details.

Best of luck

No Title

Renewing passport at NY
========================
I am not sure of the time frame to renew one\'s passport, but renewing the passport is easy in New York. If you go personally, you get the passport on the same day, or else it may take 1-2 weeks for you to get the passport back.

You can download the passport renewal form, from their website. You need to have 4 passport size photographs, notarized date of birth letter (I think you can get this letter on the website), your old passport and the fees.

I would suggest, you call up the consulate and get the details. Here is the address and telephone number.

Consulate general of India
3 East, 64th street (Between Madison and 5th Avenue)
New York, NY, 10021
Tel: 212-774-0610
     212-774-0662

No Title

Thanks a lot gist for the information, I really appreciate it.
My I-485 is approved but haven\'t got the approval notice yet. That\'s why I was wondering if I can get my passport renewed as rules of Indian consulate. Just wanted to make sure that they won\'t say it is too early to renew, come back after 4 months or so. Do you know if they will renew it now even if it is before 11 months of expiration dates. Please respond.

Thanks a lot.

No Title

Hi,
See the following info from their web site. We may call it as
renew. But they will issue a new passport. Make sure you have one
or two extra photographs. I got it done on the same day.
(i.e. submitted around 9:50 AM and got it around 4:45 PM on the same
day).

For the required documents please see their website or call them.
I took EAD, marrige certificate (as I was renewing spouse\'s passport also) and some others I do not remember.

ISSUE OF NEW PASSPORT: An application for a new passport can be made within one year of expiry of the old passport for this "Application Form for an Indian Passport" along with your passport, three photographs and affidavit should be submitted. If the application is found to be in order and if no prior reference is required to be made to the original Passport Issuing Authority, the passport will be issued in the normal course.

Yes you can renew it now as your passport will be expiring within one year.

Hope this helps.