Passport Renewal on visitor Visa

offerrp

Registered Users (C)
Hi
My mom is here on Visitor visa. Her passport is expiring Dec 2011. She will be returning in Jan 2012. Can I go to the NY Indian Embassy and apply for passport and get within a day. It sounded like the renewal might take a month or two. I have to apply for her Visa extension too. So, I would like to get the passport renewal done sooner. Is there a way to do it? Any advice/suggestions? Thank you for your time

Ninja

From Indian Consulate in NY:

Question: Can I obtain a new passport if I am in USA on a visitor's visa?

Ans: Visitors from India on BI/B2 visa who are not normally resident in USA are advised to hold passports which are valid for the period of their visit. In such cases, where it becomes necessary due to unavoidable reasons, passport would be reissued after clearance from the original Passport Issuing Authority. This could take time. It is advisable to get it renewed from the concerned Regional Passport Office.

Thank You. Has anyone had experience of getting down to NY in person to have the passport applied and get within a day? I see that they want clearance from Original Passport Issuing Authority and that might take time. Just wondering if I can somehow help speed up the process.
Thanks
Ninja

As far as I know from few of my friends, Indian consulates in USA don't renew the passports for B1/B2 visa holders. I checked all the consulates and embassy web sites and they all say that, they don't provide services to B1/B2 holders. There is a mention about urgent case handling. However, getting a new passport in a day for a B1/B2 visa holder looks unrealistic. For the passport renewal processes in different Indian consulate offices you may check this site :

indianpassportrenewalinusa dot com

I don't know your situation. May be visiting India, applying for passport renewal under Tatkal and coming back to USA is the more viable option.

Good luck

thanks. but in india we need to get appointment & making her travel too many times isnt a good idea. I just need it for a few days. Wrote to the embassy in NY & they said I can apply for renewal but that might take 45-60days.
Thanks