Passport question

irish2

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know where I can find out if a US citizen can still use his country's passport to enter that country and use his US pass port to re-enter the US? I have searched the internet, but can't find any reference to having passports from both countries. He will have dual citizenship.
New Zealand/US. Thanks

You will have to contact the New Zealand embassy for that information. In my case, I am a South African citizen, and now going through the process of getting US. The SA government says that once I get US, I automatically loose SA citizenship - UNLESS I apply to "retain" SA cit, I applied and now have permission to carry dual citizenship.

So in short, it is up to the New Zealand government.

New Zealand does allow dual citizenship. That's a great thing cause I know that not all countries do. I have looked for web sites for New Zealand and the US to answer this question, but have not been able to find one. I would appreciate help from anyone available who might know where to look. Thanks.

irish2 said:
New Zealand does allow dual citizenship. That's a great thing cause I know that not all countries do. I have looked for web sites for New Zealand and the US to answer this question, but have not been able to find one. I would appreciate help from anyone available who might know where to look. Thanks.
Well, then you wouldn't need a visa to travel to your country.
If you haven't looked at your embassy's website, here it is: http://www.nzembassy.com/home.cfm?CFID=117052&CFTOKEN=15163500&c=31&l=86

I've been working on expressing myself more clearly, but I guess I have not been completely sucessful.

I guess I am really asking if it is legal to have 2 passports from two different countries. I can't find any site that says you can or that you can't.

Thank you for the responses and the web site though. I appreciate it. My husband has not gotten his US passport yet. We are still waiting for the Oath, but I need to know if he will have problems at the gates of both countries if he has 2 passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a country allows dual citizenship - it also allows you t have two passports (by definition).

Many countries (including the USA) allow it. Heck, the US doesn't care if you have four legal passports (i.e. you are a citizen of four different countries).

I am married to a citizen of threeecountries, and while we did not bother to issue three passports, all my family members (except me) are traveling with two passports each.

yalag

irish2 said:
I've been working on expressing myself more clearly, but I guess I have not been completely sucessful.

I guess I am really asking if it is legal to have 2 passports from two different countries. I can't find any site that says you can or that you can't.

Thank you for the responses and the web site though. I appreciate it. My husband has not gotten his US passport yet. We are still waiting for the Oath, but I need to know if he will have problems at the gates of both countries if he has 2 passports.

"Which passport to use

Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) requires U.S. citizens to use U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States unless one of the exceptions listed in Section 53.2 of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations applies. (One of these exceptions permits a child under the age of 12, who is included in the foreign passport of a parent who has no claim to U.S. citizenship, to enter the United States without a U.S. passport, provided the child presents evidence of his/her U.S. citizenship when entering the United States.) Dual nationals may be required by the other country of which they are citizens to enter or leave that country using its passport, but do not endanger their U.S. citizenship by complying with such a requirement. "
SOURCE:
http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/consular/dualnat.html

irish2 said:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

Yes

I have friends with dual citizenship.

They enter their old country using that passport - and reenter the USA using the US passport.

If you do this, you will be considered a citizen of your "old country" while you are there - subject to the laws which bind all citizens. This can cause, in some cases, a boy or young man to have to register for military service in two countries.

-Ocelot

Voting

And one more thing....

In the case where you are born a dual-citizen, I think you are safe, but for a naturalized citizen, the dual status is a bit more delicate, since the US requires you to swear to "adhere to the constitution" or something like that.

If a naturalized citizen votes in elections in the "old country", the US can take that as an indication that they have not really become attached to the US. I'm not sure of the case, but I have a foggy memory of somebody having their citizenship revoked because they voted in a Mexican election. How the INS found out, or under what circumstances they raised their heads above their papers to do something, I don't know.

Most people figure out a way for their sons to avoid military service in the "old country". My friends are Russian. They had to file a special paper to indicate that their son lives abroad and will not be subject to service in the Russian military. Since Russian military service is universal and obligatory, this is a big deal. Without that, they might have either arranged for him to give up his Russian citizenship, or he simply would stay out of the country until he was 26 and could no longer be called.

-Ocelot

Quite correct on the Military Service - before I could emigrate to the US (I was 23), I had to get a letter from my government stating that I fulfilled all military duties to the country and that I am not obligated to perform any additional military service (I served for 5 years). I think/hope this letter clears me from being called up or having to serve again in the future.

buster said:
Quite correct on the Military Service - before I could emigrate to the US (I was 23), I had to get a letter from my government stating that I fulfilled all military duties to the country and that I am not obligated to perform any additional military service (I served for 5 years). I think/hope this letter clears me from being called up or having to serve again in the future.

I never had to produce such a letter.
Yalag