Passport Question

ashram

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have completed my P3. I am in the process of preparing documents for my interview. The instructions that I received with my P3 states that my passport needs to be amended to reflect marriage. My passport was issued after my marriage and hence indicates my wife's name in the spouse section. However, it only spells out my wife's first name without the last name or any initials. Do I have to amend this? If I need to, how do I do this?

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Is it necessary ?

I have too recieved the same instruction. But my question is Is it mandatory ?... I have been married recently and have not changed my spouse;s name in her passport ..

We have been using the same maiden name through out the whole process. Will changing the name at this point will create confusion ?

Right now I have filled DS 230 Part A with the same Maiden Name (as it appears in the passport)..

Will this be a issue at the interview ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

JawadAlam said:
I have too recieved the same instruction. But my question is Is it mandatory ?... I have been married recently and have not changed my spouse;s name in her passport ..

We have been using the same maiden name through out the whole process. Will changing the name at this point will create confusion ?

Right now I have filled DS 230 Part A with the same Maiden Name (as it appears in the passport)..

Will this be a issue at the interview ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

It is not mandatory from the consulate's perspective. However going forward
you realize that the Green Card is going to be issued in her maiden name.

So, it is for you to decide on the course of action. Changing to the married
name will not lead to any confusion. When filling the forms under the item
'any other names used' you would write her maiden name. (that is if you
want to complete the rest of the process with her married name)

Raju

Let's say the Green Card has the maiden name and one would like to change it, does anybody know if it is possible and if possible, the process to change it?

amolnaik said:
Let's say the Green Card has the maiden name and one would like to change it, does anybody know if it is possible and if possible, the process to change it?

I am not sure, but what I think needs to happen:

a) Make the change in the person's passport.

b) Apply to the service center and the process is going to be similar to
requesting for a replacement of GC and would involve filing of Form I-90
(? ) and could take few months.

Raju

Its not a requirement to add the spouse name to your passport for CP. I use my maiden name and don't have the spouse name added on my passport. We had our interview at Mumbai Consulate last week on the 27th. The lady collecting the documents asked me if I wanted to change my name to the married name. I decided not to change it as my passport has my maiden name and we didn't want problems at POE. It could have been done that time if I wanted.

Ash