Passport Processing

shahidsan

Registered Users (C)
Passport Processing

Hi all,

Can anyone share their experience in applying for US Passport after getting the Citizenship Certificate? If one wishes to expediate their application, sending the application from your local Post Office, when can one expect to check the status of the application online? How long before you get the passport? What happens if the application gets lost in the mail, what steps should one take?

Looking forward to reading your experience in this matter

Thanks

Expedite Processing of passport

Hi Shahidsan,
My neighbor got her passport in seven working days.
She mailed her papers at a local post office (Lilburn GA 30047)on the 20th Jan and she received it on the 30th Jan. It was an expedited one. Good luck.
TAGA

TAGA said:
Hi Shahidsan,
My neighbor got her passport in seven working days.
She mailed her papers at a local post office (Lilburn GA 30047)on the 20th Jan and she received it on the 30th Jan. It was an expedited one. Good luck.
TAGA

Hi Taga,

Thanks for the update. Do you know if she was able to track it online as far as status? I have sent mine on Feb 3rd, and if i check the status online, it says cannot locate the application. I also called the office and they said they have not got it in the system. Was trying to find out if this was normal ?

Please advise

Thanks

Shahidsan
It may not be on the system until a day before it is mailed or on the day it is mailed that was I heard from her. I think this is normal in case of expedited process.
TAGA

shahidsan said:
Hi Taga,

Thanks for the update. Do you know if she was able to track it online as far as status? I have sent mine on Feb 3rd, and if i check the status online, it says cannot locate the application. I also called the office and they said they have not got it in the system. Was trying to find out if this was normal ?

Please advise

Thanks

Online status tool is not dependable

They have a 10 day, 15 day and 6 week option.
In all cases, elect to pay $15 extra if you want Priority mail with tracking number. Since they have original Cert of Naturalization, it is best to do that.

Online tool is flaky. They are pretty good about meeting the deadline. In fact I asked for 10 business day option and got it back in 6 business days.

K

Hi CitizenKane,

I requested an expedite service, and paid for overnite mail that includes a tracking number. I do not have a tracking number for the mail sent, other than using my personal check to see if they cashed it via online banking. Since you mentioned the online tool is not useful. How long should i wait before i call them up to get a status? I mailed it on Feb 3rd?

You should call the customer service center.
I mailed mine on 1st, and called today, they said they will start processing tomorrow at New Orleans. I used normal processing, I did not see the need to expedited processing. I will get mine in March.

bamako said:
You should call the customer service center.
I mailed mine on 1st, and called today, they said they will start processing tomorrow at New Orleans. I used normal processing, I did not see the need to expedited processing. I will get mine in March.

Hi Bamako,

Thanks for your reply. I am just curious once they notified your status via phone, are you able to see the status online?

Thanks

S

shahidsan said:
Hi Bamako,

Thanks for your reply. I am just curious once they notified your status via phone, are you able to see the status online?

Thanks

S

I am not still able to check my status online.

Hi Bamako,

Same here for me, I called and they said it is in the system, but I am not able to view the status online. Like CitizenKane mentioned their online status tool is flaky. So for others out there, I suggest you call in the customer service to get your status

Passport from a regional passport agency

Folks,
Has anyone tried getting a passport from a regional passport agency ?
Please post your experience.

TAGA

shahidsan said:
Hi Bamako,

Same here for me, I called and they said it is in the system, but I am not able to view the status online. Like CitizenKane mentioned their online status tool is flaky. So for others out there, I suggest you call in the customer service to get your status

I was able to check my status online a week after sending my app.

Hi Bamako,

I too am able to check my status online. You are correct, it takes about a week before it will show up online. Thanks for the update!

US passport - expedited application

I applied for an expedited passport at a post office in Minneapolis. Since it was a first time passport I had to apply in person. The staff member at the counter was extremely helpful. He took care of all the little details related to my application such as overnight postage, including in my package the envelope for return of passport (with adequate overnight postage), money orders etc. I was told there was a chance that my photos were not correct - something to do with the relationship of head size to the size of the photo. Since this was an expedited application I did not want to take any chances. So I had new photos taken right there at the post office. Cost me $15 for a set of two. The postal worker took several pictures until he and I were both satisfied :)

Expedited passport application: Feb 15, 2006.

Checked status online around February 21. Found out that the passport application was in final stage of processing. When I checked again on Feb 25 I was told it had been mailed.

Received US passport (from Seattle passport agency): February 26, 2006 (in 11 days!!)

It is important to call ahead and find out if your if passport application center takes walk-ins - some require an appointment. I called around and found a post office that took walk-ins. Also find out their passport application times - they are often different from normal business hours. Make sure to take your naturalization certificate and driver's licence with you and enough cash (checks are not accepted) for the application fees. (For current fees check the government's website). A portion of the fees and postage may be paid by credit card.

I fly out on March 3.

Good luck to all of you.

Expediate

Hi Astrix,

Bacially when you go to the PO with your Passport application, just tell the Post Office Official that you would like to expediate your application.