Passport name different than Green Card Name

speakamericano

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
My middle name is written as my last name on the Indian passport. And the CGSIF refused to change my name on my new 10 year passport because the old passport read the name as First and Middle. I even took my Green Card and SSN number to show them that it's a clear case that whoever made my passport obviously messed up on my name, but they refused to correct it on my new passport. Now I've applied for Citizenship..My green card reads my name as First and Last, my SSN reads it as First Middle Last. and my Passport which is utterly wrong says First and Middle. Every time I've to travel I've to carry all 3 documents on me to avoid confusion. I was wondering what would happen in that case when they do a background check. I've only been to Canada in 8 years for only 2 trips (13 days and 9 days). What should I tell the immigration officer? Are they going to ask for my Indian passport? I hate the fact that some DUMB person wrote my name wrong on the passport and when I tried to correct it I was denied the request and now I am being told by CGISF that if I were to change my name on the passport I've to submit a Newspaper Advertisement. WTH why are they requiring irrelevant paperwork. My name is the same, it's just that some dumb nut wrote it wrong? What do I do?
Any help is appreciated!!
God Bless!

When you apply for citizenship and there is a name conflict like that, they'll use the birth certificate as the "tiebreaker".

So bring your birth certificate (the original, not just a copy) to the interview. I hope you listed all name variations in the relevant section on the first page of N-400 (name shown on the green card, other names used, etc.), otherwise they might reorder your background check depending on what you did and didn't list, which would delay your oath for weeks or months.

Hello Jackolantern,
I didn't mention all name variations in the relevant section of N-400 because I didn't know I could do it. I thought that'd give me 2 last names. When I traveled back to U.S. from Canada, I told the immigration officer every time of the problem. And both times they took my fingerprints. I have been here legally and I don't see any reason why my citizenship would be denied, but I'd tell the immigration officer of my name confusion and I could wait for the oath for weeks or months. That's fine with me. Thank you for your answer. I've one more question, My original birth certificate is in Hindi, not in English. When we moved to the U.S. we had it translated, but the Immigration Officers took the last extra copy of my birth certificate which was in English at SFO because my last name was different on the papers filled out for immigration, and it was different on the passport. My question is Should I have my sister translate my birth certificate or Can I do it myself? I could take it to the interview. Also, Do I need to notarize the certificate?
Thanks!

Provided you tell them about it at the interview, rather than have them find out the name discrepancy after the interview and think you're hiding something, they're not going to deny you for the name mixup. But depending on what you left out, they might have to redo the background check, adding whatever name wasn't listed. If you provided First Middle Last for the "your current legal name" question on the N-400, they probably won't redo the background check, since the checks should include searches for First Middle and First Last. But you still need to bring up the issue and let them decide what to do.

Don't have your sister or anybody closely related to you do the English translation of the certificate. In your situation there will be extra attention on the birth certificate, so you need the translation to be as credible and solid as possible. Get it done by a person who isn't so close to you, or by a company that does translations. Even better, if it is possible to obtain an English version issued by the authorities in India, get it. It would be useful beyond naturalization.

thank you, i will try to find a lawyer or a professional translator who could translate it for me. we really don't know anyone in india since all my family is in the states... but thanks for the advice.