Passport is Expiring on May 2001, Interview on Dec 2000

VSC699

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

My Passport is expiring in May 2001 & I have interview in December 2000. Do they(INS) ask for passport which is valid for at least six months?

Should I renew the passport before I go for interview? Or it is okay to go with old passport? Has Any body been in this kind of situation?

Thank you for any information.

VSC699

No Title

If you are from India, You can do the following.

Indian Consulates in Newyork and other places allow the passport to be extended or issued new when the current passport has a validity of less than 1 year from expiry date. So You are qualified to apply for extending your passport validity. So I would suggest you to go to the nearest Indian Embassy in the U.S and apply for one. They will issue the same day. You have another one month time for the interview.

I am also in the same boat. Ofcourse I have received my plastic green card and my passport expires in August 2001. But Indian embassy in NY said that I can extend it right away. You can send application by mail.

But given the situation, If I were you,I would go in person and get it extended the same day. They have the web site also and see the site for details.

Good luck.

No Title

Hi, I asked my lawyer the same question, but my passport was to expire before the interview. He said that INS would stamp my I-94 card.

My relatives got their passports stamped when they got green cards. The temporary stamp in your passport will be valid for 1 year. If they stamp the passport and you do not get your permanent green card before the passport\'s expiration you may have a problem. So, I would suggest to change your passport before the interview, if you can.

Josey

No Title

Hi,

so are you saying that you actually do not have to have a valid
(not expired) passport in order to get a stamp - on your
I-94 - and then you can still get plastic card later ?

Another words, if your I-485 is approved and you do not have
"active" (valid) passport, but expired one (or I-94 only), then you
still can go to INS and finish the process, i.e. get a stamp
and make them order plastic card for you ?

Please let us know.
Thanks

No Title

Hi,

About the expired passport, my lawyer assured me that it would not be a problem to get my temporary green card visa stamped to my I-94. However, I would advise to contact your lawyer or INS for confirmation of this. I was able to get a new passport, so I am not in the same boat.

Josey

No Title

Hi,

thanks a lot. I appreciate the info. I am trying to ask that my
lawyer also. I will try to post another discussion and see
if others may know something also.
Thanks.

No Title

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will call my lawyer & also INS to confirm & will post the message here.

Thanks

VSC699

No Title

The following information was provided by Mathew OH from immigration-law.com

Automatic Extension of Passport Validity: This list which we posted last year has been updated on 01-16-99, adding Russia.

Either for the purpose of a visa application or for admission into the U.S., the U.S. Immigration Laws requires that an alien carries a passport that is valid for a minimum of 6 months. The U.S. Department of State has released a list of countries that have signed an agreement under which the U.S. government recognizes their passports as valid for the return of the bearer for a period of 6 months beyond the expiration date specified in the passport, thereby effectively extending the validity period of the foreign passport an additional 6 months beyond its expiration date. The countries are:
Algeria, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Cote D\'Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guinea, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Korea, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua (Diplomatic & official only), Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Senegal, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad & Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, and Venezuela, Zimbwabe.