Passport - How long does it take?

CitizenKane

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
How do you apply for a passport? At oath ceremony or later at post office?

How long is it taking?

What do you need to give them for passport application and what happens to your old country passport?

I have an important trip that needs to be made, and it might turn out that my oath ceremony is a couple of weeks before the trip.

Please share any knowledge you have in this regard
Thanks,
Kane

CitizenKane said:
Hello,
How do you apply for a passport? At oath ceremony or later at post office?

Later at post office.

How long is it taking?

Depends on which route you use. Expedited is around 2 weeks. If you need faster, you need to have confirmed ticket (outside US) and you can get one in a day if you really need it. I got mine in 4-5 days through San Francisco Regional Passport Agency.

What do you need to give them for passport application and what happens to your old country passport?

Original naturalization certificate, other requirements listed in the passport form. Old country passport depends, if no dual citizenship, you should return it to your old country consulate. I did for my old Indian passport, they just cancelled it and gave back to me.

I have an important trip that needs to be made, and it might turn out that my oath ceremony is a couple of weeks before the trip.

Book your tickets in advance and call regional passport agency to set up an appointment. If no appointment (like my case) call up some travel agents, they will do it for you. You still need to go to post office, show all require documents and pay fees. Post office will seal docs and give it to you. You give to tarvel agent with a letter authorizing them to represent you. For me it cost $100. Net only $60 as I didn't have to pay $40 for overnight delivery.

Please share any knowledge you have in this regard
Thanks,
Kane

I might add for regional passport agency, you need a copy of your confirmed tickets or reservation from travel agent. My travel plans did change after I had sent the info but it did not cause any issues.

Thank you BobbyZ

BobbyZ,
Thank you very much for your clear answers.

I am assuming e-ticket is OK since I did not make my travel through a travel agent.

Also, are you saying that
1) Make SF regional passport authority appt today
2) go to post office after oath and get docs sealed in an envelope
3) go to SF regional passport authority for appt. in person

in that order? I will not be using travel agent if I get the appt.

Thank you again for your help.
Kane

CitizenKane said:
BobbyZ,
Thank you very much for your clear answers.

I am assuming e-ticket is OK since I did not make my travel through a travel agent.

Also, are you saying that
1) Make SF regional passport authority appt today
2) go to post office after oath and get docs sealed in an envelope
3) go to SF regional passport authority for appt. in person

in that order? I will not be using travel agent if I get the appt.

Thank you again for your help.
Kane

I don't think you need step 2 if you going directly to passport agency. The problem is that passport agency only accept appointments through their automated system. you can not go visit them without the appt. In my case, I could not get any appointment before I was suppose to fly but my travel agent was able to get one. Just dial the passport agency number and schedule an appointment. They will ask you travel date. Wish they had an option to talk to a live person.

Information for you on Passport processing time

BobbyZ and others,
Actually it turns out that you don't really need to get a travel agent or book time with the SF Regional Passport authority.

If you go to your post office's passport dept (go to a larger post office in your area) they have three processes available:
1) standard 6 week processing for $97
2) express 15 day processing for $157
3) rush 10 day processing for $185

You only need to go to the regional passport authority if you have an impending trip and need to get the passport in less than 10 days. BobbyZ had to take this route because he needed passport in 4-5 days.

Other people need not go through all the trouble, since walk-in basis post office offers the above 3 options.

Regards,
Kane

When I applied around Oct 2005 end, the last option (10 days) wasn't available. It must be a new one.