Passport extension(india) @ Chicago.

Billtoo

Registered Users (C)
We got Biometrics notice for my son ... 6 year old during the first week of Aug.
Today we found out that his passport dates are not valid ... and need an extension at the indian consulate at chicago.

So now one more thing in our list -- Get it extended..

Does any one has the experience at the Indian consulate at chicago..

If I send it by post how many days do they send the passport back .. or do U think I should go over there personally to get it revalidated...

Thanks
Billtoo.

send by fedex and arrange return by fedex (15$ more ).

max 2 weeks from the data of receipt at chicago.

check status after 1 week.

biometrics has nothing to do with passport,

dont send passport now, send it after completing the biometrics.

you need the passport only for identification, not for validity at the fp centre.

dont send passport until you finish biometrics.

always in Labor,

Thanks for the reply..

2 weeks .. my sons Biometrics is on Aug 03 ...

May be I need to go there and get it extended...

Thanks
Billtoo.

Passport

always_in_labor said:
biometrics has nothing to do with passport,
dont send passport now, send it after completing the biometrics.
you need the passport only for identification, not for validity at the fp centre.
dont send passport until you finish biometrics.

That makes sense .. I guess they would not check the dates on them.
Should I call them and ask ... Hmm then I might call in trouble for myself..

Whenever you're ready to replace your passport, I believe you can get it sooner the same day if you go directly to the chicago consulate as I live in an indian community near chicago and lot of indian nationals go in the morning and come back in the evening with the new passport. You want want to spend time the whole day as they may ask you to come back in the evening if you give it in the morning.

Good Luck!

Mahesh

Chicago.

Mahesh,

Hmm .. yes I needed an extension for my son and it looks like we may have to go and get it extended ... who knows what if they at ASC --- decide to check the dates on the passport for the Biometrics.

I never been to Chicago and this might be a chance ... well .. can U tell me where I and my family can spend some time .. while I am waiting for the process to complete .. Heard of Diwan St .. is it far from the consulate ... other than it can U suggest some good place out there... I will be driving from Detroit..

Thanks
Billtoo.

Hi BillToo,

Also, I would suggest you to call the Indian consulate in Chicago before you go to verify how long will it take to get the replacement passport. Just to make sure, you have the right information before you drive all the way.

http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/

I haven't been to the consulate but looking at the directions, seems it's pretty near Sears Towers. I will also get some additional information from one of my colleague who had been there about a few months back.

Most people visit Navy Pier, Sears Towers, Aquarium and Botanical Garden. You may want to do the parking somewhere on Michigan Ave and walk to places, some use trolleys. Check the weather as it's been quite hot for the past few weeks. Devon Ave may be about 20 minutes drive from the consulate and there are some pretty good south / north indian grocery stores / hotels.

Please check the chicago attractions as well.

http://www.chicagotraveler.com/maps/chicago-downtown-attractions-map.htm

Hope this helps!

Mahesh

Things closer to consulate other than already suggested places may be

Grand park, Lake shore (may be oak street beach), art institute of chicago, Michigan avenue (shopping) water tower place, John hencock, wringley building.

You can also plan to see shows like blue man group or some bradway show (thetre district)

Devon (not diwan) avenue is quite far from downtown.

You can park your car underground parking city parking on michigan street ( I thnk its called wacker drive parking.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Devon not that far

Devon is not that far from downtown. I think it takes approximately 15-20 minutes to get there from Hancock BLDG. (or more if traffic). It is worth going...takes u right back to india.....and the only place where u see indians and pakistanis living side by side in peace.

You are just wasting your time by going to chicago.

just go there and show your son's id, they never check the expiry, they just check your photo.

if they ask anything, tell them you are waiting for the fp before sending the pp for renewal as it takes n months ... they will believe you..

worst case take another appointment 15 days later.