passport expiring

para123

Registered Users (C)
i know this is off topic but wanted to get some expert opinion,my passport is expiring june,i have a h1 stamp till next year,when i get new passport do i need to get new visa,is the old passport taken away or is it given back .if i need to travel to india ,can i do so on the old passport before june or do i need new one before.thanks

my passport is expiring june,i have a h1 stamp till next year,
How did they give you an H1 stamp that has a validity exceeding the passport it is in ??

when i get new passport do i need to get new visa,
You take the expired passport with you and hand it to the officer in addition to your current one.
I don't know how your goverment handles this, but mine has a special needle type of stamper that punches the word 'expired' through the entire thing but the passport itself it is returned to you. In the old days, when B1/B2 visas where valid for a lifetime, I carried my 'second last' passport around whenever I travelled to the US. The thing still had my baby picture in it and looked really ancient, but I never had a problem with the validity of the visa.

.if i need to travel to india ,can i do so on the old passport before june or do i need new one before.thanks

Doesn't your consulate in the US issue new passports ? It is one of the key citizen services consulates abroad offer.

Passport Renewal

(1) Indian Passport can be renewed (OR new passport can be availed - if old one is expiring) before one year (or anytime thereafter) from the day of expiry.

(2) When you get the new passport, the old passport with the VISA and I-94 are returned attached to the new one. They cancel the old passport BUT NOT THE VISA.

(3) Whenever you enter USA, I understand that the US Government wants a passport valid for at least six months (or more) irrespective of the duration of visa.

(4) Renewing Indian passport within US is easy. It takes a few days (San Francisco Consulate is very quick - ten business days) to few weeks (Houston Consulate - Read the tales from others in one of these forums). You MUST apply to the consulate alloted for you state of residence. This can be found out by visiting the 'Passport & Visa' section at the website of Indian Embassy at Washington DC at http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/default.asp.