Passport expiring vs travel

thdoc

Registered Users (C)
Hi fellow,

My NIW/AOS got approved recently and I need to travel soon to my home country to visit parent, whom I haven't seen 6 years. The problem is, on the date I plan to return to US my passport will be valid only for 3 months in the future. Is this going to make a problem to enter the US with the PR card? Has anyone been to this situation? Thanks a lot for your valuable advice!

I thinking what is most important is the expiration date on you PR card. even if your Passport expires in 3 months but your PR card does not you should be fine.

Re:

Thanks guys! I've read that all foreign persons entering US must have their passports valid within next 6 months. And that in many cases airlines will not let you board on the plane if your passport expires in less then 3 months.

I am considering to delay the trip to get it renewed here in US, but renewal takes 3 months, so ridiculous.

Anyone who travelled to US with passport expiring soon, could you please share if it went ok? Thanks very much.

Thanks guys! I've read that all foreign persons entering US must have their passports valid within next 6 months.

This is true for persons holding non-immigrant visas or on the visa waiver program. It does not apply to US permanent residents at all. Besides, most countries have agreements with the US to waive the 6-month validity rule, which again is for visitors, not green card holders. You don't even NEED a valid passport to be in the US once you have a green card.

And that in many cases airlines will not let you board on the plane if your passport expires in less then 3 months.

They will if they see you have a green card.

I am considering to delay the trip to get it renewed here in US, but renewal takes 3 months, so ridiculous.

Anyone who travelled to US with passport expiring soon, could you please share if it went ok? Thanks very much.

You have absolutely no reason to delay your trip. Have a good one.

Hi jk0274,

Thanks for the info, this is very helpful and relieving, but also surprising. May I ask, what is the source of this info (that a GC-holder does not need a valid passport to enter US) -- is this your or your friend's experience, or is there a link to some .gov website? Thanks very much again.

Check your passport renewal option too

Hi TheDOC,
What is your home country? Check your passport renewal option also.

In most cases, if you can visit your consulate/embassy of your country, they might be able to provide you a passport soon. In my case i had a conference in which i was invited to provide a talk in a Europe (not sure). Even though the people on the phone in my consulate/embassy were not helpful and were trying to give me a hard time explaining the rules, the person who had the authority was very understanding. I just sent an email to him explaining the situation, i got my passport in few days (record time).

You may wish to check this option if it gives you peace during your travel. It might useful to talk to your folks from your home country first.

PS: Indian, i am.

Hi jk0274,

Thanks for the info, this is very helpful and relieving, but also surprising. May I ask, what is the source of this info (that a GC-holder does not need a valid passport to enter US) -- is this your or your friend's experience, or is there a link to some .gov website? Thanks very much again.

My immigration attorney told me but I've also seen this info many many times. Here's an article that states:

A returning resident alien is not required to present a valid passport for reentry into the U.S., although most will have one, since a passport is often required for entry into a foreign country.

Also, in case you are still worried that you need a valid passport to remain in the US as a permanent resident, here is a list of countries that have treaties with the US that lets passport holders of these countries enter the US without having 6 months left on their passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a_b for the good advice. Unfortunately, for my country getting a new passport via consulate takes 3 months minimum, I did this once before. But I've done some googling and found some unofficial info confirming jk027 point - that passport is not needed to return to US with GC.