Registered Users (C)
Hi,

PD - 3/96, EB3-India, SC
RD - 5/99
ND - 6/99
FP - 4/00
No RFE so for.
Waiting for approval.

My passport is getting expired in couple of months. I heard that we need a passport valid for at least six months in order to get stamped after I485 approval.

My question is, will there be any deadlines for getting stamped once the I485 is approved ? I am concerned because, the consulate is taking about 45 days to renew the passport & mean time if I get approval & if there is any such deadlines for stamping.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

No Title

I got my passpor extended for another 20 years :) in NY.
I do not know, where you reside. I submitted my passport
at 9am and got back the renewed passport at 4.00pm on
the same day. Better you get ready with the renewed
passport.
They did not check the passport validity when they stamped
for GC. But do not take chances with immigration.

No Title

I went to NY India consulate and gave the papers but it was little late for them to process the same day. So I opted for them to send the new passport by Priority mail. I got it the 2 bussiness day

No Title

I need to get my Indian passport extended to. I reside in Dallas texas. Could you provide address/phone # of Indian consulate in NY.

Thanks

No Title

You need to send your passport renewal application to the Houston consulate and not NY. I believe the consulate folks come to Dallas every third Sunday of the month to the India Association Office in Richardson. You can call them up and get the details.

No Title

Essk,

Is this the first time You are renewing your passport? If it is, then the passport will be renewed within a week By mail or same day if you apply in person.

If you have already renewed it once and there is a "(F)" placed in the renewal, then you will be getting a new passport. My experience is that it gets done within 2 weeks unless there are other complications like damaged or lost passport.

I think, it is better to have your passport renewed and have the stamping done on the renewed passport since the old one will be returned to you with "CANCELLED" marked on it. However, valid visas in the Old passport continue to be valid. You should always carry both the old and the new passport with you when you travel. The new passport will have a stamping by the consulate linking it to the old passport.

I would strongly suggest that you consult your Legal Dept./ Lawyer before proceeding.

No Title

Thanks VSCRD1199 for your reply.

My passport was originally issued for 10 years. Intially I thought I could "Renew" it, but when I called the consulate, they said "Renewal"
is only for those passports issued for five years (in the past they were issuing for 5 years it seems). So, they said I should apply for new passport (they call it "New passport to replace expired one" !!)
and it might take 8 to 10 days to issue.

Anyway I sent it by Fedex and expecting it soon.

Thanks again.