Passport Expiring and Approval

mygcwaiter100

Registered Users (C)
My passport is expiring in March 2005 and lets say if i get approved this year (lets be optimistic and say by Oct) . Can i still go and get stamped. If not then how early can i send my passport for renewal (Indian Passport). If the passport is out for renewal and i get approved can they wait few weeks before i get it stamped.

opinions/suggestions/mouth farts ?

i was in same situation..

Hi,
FYI..
I got approval last month and my PP is going to expire in june,2005. they said they can't put a stamp in the passport as it doesn't have a validity for 1 year. so they gave me a I-94 like card and they stamped on that with all the details including my picture. it's as good as stamping..my suggestion is get new passport now (it takes 3 weeks) and go for stamping. it won't be a problem even if u go with u r old passport r..they can still stamp just like in my case. only thing is don't forget to take an extra picture (other than 2 pictures required for plastic card)..if u decide to go with old passport...

What are you waiting for, It just takes 2 weeks to get the passport renewed. Hence take immediate steps and get it done. www.IndianEmbassy.org should give you all the details of forms as well the embassy office you should do a prepaid Fedex of your passport.

Good Luck.

You can apply for a new passport upto 6 months to the time your current passport expires. It takes about 2 weeks to process it in SFO.

Your approval stamp WILL NOT be stamped on a passport expiring in the immediate future.

The faq at indian consulate SFO website says, one can get the passport on the same day renewed. check this

RENEWAL OF PASSPORTS (EXTENSION OF VALIDITY OF CURRENT PASSPORT)

When are passports renewed ?

What are the requirements for renewing a passport?

How much time will it take?

What would be the duration of the renewal of the passport?

i) Passports which were issued less than 9 years back such as passports issued in India under the Tatkal scheme

ii) Passports which were issued against lost passports for short validity

iii) But NOT if your passport is completing 10 years / or there is a an F or Final written after the date of expiry- Please apply for new passport in such a case.

What are the requirements for renewing a passport?

i) Original passport

ii) Completed Passport Renewal form

iii) Copy of Green Card (both sides, enlarged clear copy) or Employment Authorization card (clear enlarged copy) or legal/ visa status such as HIB etc

iv) No Fee is payable for renewal but if you are applying by mail, charges for mailing back the passport may be sent through a money order/cashier's check in favor of Consulate General of India. Please see item "VII" of "new passport" requirements.

i) If you apply in person at the counter, same day if no prior clearance is required. It may take 30 –35 days if clearance has to be obtained.

ii) If you apply through mail, 3-5 working days, excluding time taken in mail. The proviso regarding clearance mentioned in i) above applies.

What would be the duration of the renewal of the passport?

i) Normally the validity of the passport will be extended up to 10 years from date of its original issue except for persons on BI/ B2 visa or where clearance has not been received from the original passport issuing authority.

ii) In cases of duplicate passports of short validity, renewal will depend upon the legal status of the applicant and receipt of clearance.

passport ewnewal

renewal is 1-2 weeks if by post...if u drop it personally at SF city, then its lesser I think...u got to pick it up as well personally...

i think they say as much in the embassy site

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to differ from my previous post. Previous post applies to only for renewal within the 10 year validity. If 10 years are over then you have to get a new passport and its taking about 5-6 business days at SFO consulate. Y'day (8/3/2004) I applied for a new passport and I've to collect it on 11th August. My passport is reaching 10 year limit as I wanted to get the GC stamped on new passport I applied for it. I'll be going for stamping on 12th.

Passport Lost - Need Help

I am Indian Citizen and Permanent Resident of Canada. Working here in US on H1B (Valid till Sept 2005) from last 4 Years. I lost my Passport in US Postal Mail and applying for a duplicate passport at Indian Consulate NY.
I would appreciate if anyone of you can help me to know

How much time it takes to get Duplicate Passport from Indian Consulate NY?

Is Passport No. going to be same in Duplicate Passport?

How Duplicate Passport process works?

Once I will get it can I go to Canada and do H1B stamping on Duplicate Passport at US Consulate in Canada? I have police report and xerox of original passport.

If so how much will be the fee and the mode of Payment?
Please help me.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if your passport was issued in India then it will take few months as the inquiry will go to india and depending on how long it takes you will be issued a passport. If it was in US then i dont think it will take that long.

as golumolu said go to the india embassy site and you will find some more answers or even call them and find out.

the passport number will be different for sure...

rahuls said:
I am Indian Citizen and Permanent Resident of Canada. Working here in US on H1B (Valid till Sept 2005) from last 4 Years. I lost my Passport in US Postal Mail and applying for a duplicate passport at Indian Consulate NY.
I would appreciate if anyone of you can help me to know

How much time it takes to get Duplicate Passport from Indian Consulate NY?

Is Passport No. going to be same in Duplicate Passport?

How Duplicate Passport process works?

Once I will get it can I go to Canada and do H1B stamping on Duplicate Passport at US Consulate in Canada? I have police report and xerox of original passport.

If so how much will be the fee and the mode of Payment?
Please help me.
Thanks

No really. It takes just 5-6 business days to get a new passport from CGI, SF. I have done that 3 times (for me and family members) - lastest last month.

Just go ahead apply for new passport by mail. You should get it back within 2 weeks. The process is very simple, please visit CGI web site.

mygcwaiter100 said:
I think if your passport was issued in India then it will take few months as the inquiry will go to india and depending on how long it takes you will be issued a passport. If it was in US then i dont think it will take that long.

as golumolu said go to the india embassy site and you will find some more answers or even call them and find out.

the passport number will be different for sure...

Thanks mygcwaiter100 and goodsaint,
I am thinking of going NY Consulate in Person to apply for duplicate PP? I spoke to Indian Consulate personal; they are saying it will take couple of months?
If you have any information related to Duplicate Passport process, I appreciate if you can share with me.
Thanks.

goodsaint said:
No really. It takes just 5-6 business days to get a new passport from CGI, SF. I have done that 3 times (for me and family members) - lastest last month.

Just go ahead apply for new passport by mail. You should get it back within 2 weeks. The process is very simple, please visit CGI web site.

Pardon my ignorance. My 485 got approved on September 14, 2004 and I am waiting for approval letter. I took infopass on September 27 for stamping. Just now I saw this thread.

My current passport is going to expire on March, 2005. Are they not going to stamp on my passport as it is going to expire in < 6 months?

If yes, what are the best options for me?

Thanks in advance.

niladri30 said:
Best option, if under Indian consulate SFO, to renew and collect in person, if you do it now!

Yes I am in Bay area and I can go to SFO in person. But I got confused with the details on web site. It seems that I can't renew my passport as I completed 9 1/2 years and my passport is going to expire in 6 months (march, 2005). any comments?

i) Passports which were issued less than 9 years back such as passports issued in India under the Tatkal scheme

ii) Passports which were issued against lost passports for short validity

iii) But NOT if your passport is completing 10 years / or there is a an F or Final written after the date of expiry- Please apply for new passport in such a case.

i) If you apply in person at the counter, same day if no prior clearance is required. It may take 30 –35 days if clearance has to be obtained.

ii) If you apply through mail, 3-5 working days, excluding time taken in mail. The proviso regarding clearance mentioned in i) above applies.

The term "renew" refers to extending the validity of your current passport.
That is no longer possible.

You can apply for a fresh passport. They will stamp CANCELLED on your old passport and return it with your new passport. This does not cancel valid visas on the old passport. You can still get it before your stamping if you hurry.

I do wish you would read the stuff on the Indian consulate webpage. It is one thing to provide hard-to-get info, quite another to explain what is already written on a website. No offense meant.

Sure, no offence.

I saw one thread where San Jose center stamped the GC on a card and give it to the person. Any other experiences? what is the limit on passport expirity date? should it me > 1 year?

140_takes_4ever said:
You can apply for a new passport upto 6 months to the time your current passport expires. It takes about 2 weeks to process it in SFO.

Your approval stamp WILL NOT be stamped on a passport expiring in the immediate future.

It's one year from date of expiry, not 6 months.