Passport expiring - advise

zztop

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have a pending I485 application (applied in Feb 02 and FP done)and also a valid H1 status, meanwhile my pasport is expiring on July of this year (10 years completion - Indian passport).
Are there any problems with renewing the passport while the AOS petition is pending with INS.
Would greatly appreciate your views on this,

thanks in advance.

No problem..

I renewed my passport wiht I-485 pending. they just need yr i485 receipt, and EAD if you have one.

Greenkaagaj, you got a new passport booklet right ?
Did u get the same passport number or a different number ?

Passport expiring next year...

I have I-551 stamp on my passport dtd Sep02. Still waiting for plastic card. Could Somebody please clarify these questions:

1. How soon I have to renew it?
2. Do I have to send it to Indian consulate?
3. Can I renew it while abroad?

New passport

When you renew a passport you get a 'new' passport - new number and everything.

What surprised me was that my renewed new passport had my US apartment address as my permanent address!! According to US documents(I was on H1B then) you are here as a temporary worker and our apna desi sarkar insists that you are here for good!!

Sorry if that was more info than you wanted.

nell02
this is what the Indian consulate says -
The Application for a new passport can be made also up to one year before the expiry of the Passport.

You can send it by mail or visit your nearest Indian consulate.
The link for Indian consulate in New York city is
http://www.indiacgny.org

You will get all the info including the forms in PDF

Though you get a new passport, if you have any visa stampings, i-94 stampings etc etc. You need to carry your old passport along with the new one, where ever you go. So getting a new passport is not at all a problem. It is a must. But if you have enetered your passport # in I-485 application, probably you need to contact your attorney and see if you need to update with ins. Or you can call IIO ant talk to them. I know you prefer the first option . . .

ZZ top,

Consulate issues new passport after 10 year expiry only if less than 6 months to expiry date or within 1 year after expiry date.

The old passport is cancelled, however the valid visa is not cancelled. If there is a valid visa, the old and new passport are stapled and sealed.

Nowhere do they ask if AOS case or not so question of EAD does not arise as far as valid visa or approval is there. All they ask is for filled form, 2 photos, drivers licence, utility/telephone bill/lease agreement to veirfy address, copy of I-94 (should be valid) and copy of approval notice.

In your case you have valid visa so no problem, as expiring 7/2003 we are in 1/2003 (within 6 months) so go ahead and apply.

Write clearly how many pages you want in booklet and pay accordingly.

My passport is expiring in August 2003 and I still have my 485 application pending. My H-1 has expired (so is the I-94 - that I got with my H-1 extension) and I am working with my EAD. I am travelling to India next month with the parole.

Please advice on what's the best thing to do in regards to renewal of passport.

Thank you.

no problem

comeplete ur India trip and then renew your passport. It takes only two weeks. I renewed my passport and my 485 app is still pending.

I renewed at newyork consulate, very easy make sure that you are there when they open the doors at 9:15,so that you get your renewed passport the same day. after 11:30 if you are at the counter they will ask you to come the next day , they will give you a verrrry tiny receipt, don't lose it. keep it safe . else you may not get your passport, I believe same thing goes at washington consulate. you can go to the website and see all the details, i don't remember the site, just search in yahoo.

PVM,

DC consulate is very prompt. I know of several people who got new passport (after 10 years expiry), less than 2 weeks. Ensure you write a covering note and mention all documents that you are sending, attach the bankers cheque, indicate number of pages required, pay accordingly, you can send by regd mail or courier, if you want it back FEDEX send $ 15 extra as bankers cheque, if by US mail i think its $ 5. Hope this helps.

Dont send original I-94 to consulate keep with you and send only copy. Keep a copy of each and every page of your passport including blank pages, till you get it back.

Indian Consulate in New York !

My passport was expiring (10 years) in the 1st week of Dec 2002. I sent my passport and other document copies (notarized), to the Indian Consulate in New York, by Fedex, on Nov 1st 2002. Also, I sent an extra $15 for the return charges. I got back my new and old passport, by US Express Mail on Nov 8th, 2002. Hope this helps !!

You can apply for renewal of passport upto one year before expiry and upto 6 months after expiry. It will take much longer time to renew (may be 2 months or more), if 6 months passed after expiry. For example if your passport expires on 01/01/2004, then you can apply for renewal between 01/01/2003 and 06/30/2004.

The visas on the old passport are still valid if the details (such as name, Date of Birth) are same on old passport and new passport.

If there is any difference in details (like name change), you may need to get the new Visa stamp on new passport. YOU BETTER CHECK THIS WITH LAWYER AS I NOT AWARE OF THE EXACT RULES.

You need not send a copy to INS if I-485 is pending. I checked this with my lawyer (though I did not renew my passport while I-485 pending).

But in case of name change (for eg marriage), you may need to send the details to INS. YOU BETTER CHECK THIS WITH LAWYER AS I NOT AWARE OF THE EXACT RULES.