Bhupender Singh

Registered Users (C)
RD:09/07/01
ND:11/09/01
FP:02/13/01
EAD:Renewed-->11/25/03
AP:Waiting...
Citizen:India

My passport is expiring 16th.March 2003 and i'm waiting for my approval(god knows when). I've not rewed my passport, which is valid for less than six months.

Question1: Is it ok to renew the old passport before 485 approval or do you guys see any problem in that??. Also will i be getting the same old passport after renewal or alltogether new one??.

Question2: How long does it take to renew and what documents i might need.

Question3: Is it really safe to renew the passport before the approval and stamp on new passport.?? Is it technically/Legaly ok to do so.??

Pl. Answer these if someone know..??

YES It is safe to do.
I did mine and got GC stamped on NEW one.
You get the old passport with the new one.
Hope this helps

SainI

>Question1: Is it ok to renew the old passport before 485 >approval or do you guys see any problem in that??. Also will i be >getting the same old passport after renewal or alltogether new >one??.

Yes, you can very much renew beforehand even if PP does not expire and before your 485 approval. You need to send your PP along with New PP application form to nearest Indian Embassy and they will return your old one as well the new PP. If you mail ur PP, make sure you Fedex them with retun envelope and have both the tracking numbers handy. Also make copies of ur PP before sending to consulate.

>Question2: How long does it take to renew and what >documents i might need.

Per my personal experience, I went in person to Washington DC, I got it on same day. I am not sure abt mailing, you can call them and find out abt total processing time. I beleive it should not be more than 2 weeks.

>Question3: Is it really safe to renew the passport before the >approval and stamp on new passport.?? Is it technically/Legaly >ok to do so.??

There is absolute no connection in your 485 approval and renewing PP. These are different two entities. Generally thumb rule of issuing visa is, that a person PP should not expire in six months.

Hope this helps. Good luck.