Passport Expiration question..

Hope99_HUB

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I have the I-551 stamp in my passport and I plan to visit India in March and return in April. My passport expires in August.

My question is.. Can I travel with my passport expiring in less than 6 months of my returning to the US or will I have a problem getting back. I heard from a couple of friends that the passport has to be valid for atleast 6 months from the day of travel/entry to the US.

Please advice... you help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I know you need to at least 6 mo. validity to get a Visa stamp- but perhaps not for entry. Ask an attorney.
But if you renew your PP- you should be fine. Depending on country- find out how much time it takes for renewal.

HTH

My first option was to have the passport renewed but I have less than 2 weeks left. since my travel date is the 1st of march. If the Indian Embassy does not renew my passport by then I will be in a fix since the tickets are all booked. I would prefer not taking a chance if I know that I can safely travel with less than 6 months validity.

Thanks,

Indian embassy has same day service in person. Even by mail it is pretty fast. I think 2 weeks is a good time to get it done.
But you may be OK without it- ask an attorney.
HTH

If you live nearby Washington DC area go to Indian Embassy and also take you tickets. they will issue you the new one right away..

Why to take risk. If you get stuck In INDIA and they ask you to extend the Passport that will me a nightmare for you there.

So spend few bucks and get it done before you leave.

Good Luck and happy journey :)
Just my 2 cents..

Originally posted by Hope99_HUB
Hi All,

I have the I-551 stamp in my passport and I plan to visit India in March and return in April. My passport expires in August.

My question is.. Can I travel with my passport expiring in less than 6 months of my returning to the US or will I have a problem getting back. I heard from a couple of friends that the passport has to be valid for atleast 6 months from the day of travel/entry to the US.

Please advice... you help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Renewal in india now days is easy, if you ready to pay more money (90$) they will issue the passport in two working days. otherwise pay 40 $ wait for two weeks. It is always better to apply from here or go and apply personally.

I am in a kinda similar situation...does it mean we should get a new I551 stamp on the passport or we can use the stamp on the expired passport as a proof of our green card status

Thanks in advance