Passport date, when should I renew?

Giova

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
The date on my passport is October 5th. Can I fly back to Canada that day to renew my TN or am I ilegall on 10/05?
Thanks for your help!

Technically you are fine. But why do you want to cut it so close? At least do that a week or ten days before the expiration date.

Hi all,
The date on my passport is October 5th. Can I fly back to Canada that day to renew my TN or am I ilegall on 10/05?
Thanks for your help!

Unless the rules changed (again) you can't board a flight bound for anywhere outside the US without a valid Passport so you need to mail in an application pronto or else fly up well before 10/05 and do the application in person.

I wanted to add more based on the excellent post by "Webtiger."

You may fly out till the day your passport is valid. However, you would need a valid passport to go for a TN stamping. Your passport should be valid beyond the expiration date of TN visa you're trying to obtain.

Not sure what country you are from, you may want to look at how many hours it takes to renew a passport, consular holidays, and other logistics.

If we remove the "flying" p[ortion of this question, then there is no need for any Passport to get TN, so you might want to consider a drive instead.

And it is absolutely false that the passport must be valid for TN, snd thus there is no need for it to be valid for a certain period afterwards.

Let's not make things up.

It's true the passport isn't needed for a TN and if you have one, it doesn't need to be valid all the TN period.

If you fly in Canada than I imagine you have a Canadian passport. By mail from the US they are working on the form they received in April 30th (I called yesterday) and they said on their website that it take 15weeks without the mailing delay to have a passport from the US. If you choose to apply in person, you have to go get it in person and it take 2 weeks. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/

"If you fly in Canada than I imagine you have a Canadian passport"

Canada does not require Cdns to have a passport to enter canada, neither by air or land.

US requires Cdns have a passport for entering US, by air.

So a Cdn could fly to canada without a valid passport. You can get a passport in 24 hours, if you pay the premium, and have a confirmed ticket in your hand. I would give myself 3 days to be safe.

Then fly back, getting new TN.

Or, sinply apply for TN by mail, or drive to the border, without renewing passport, and get the PP renewed when it is more convenient, and when the backlog has died down.

I guess I did not ask the question correctly. My passport is valid for another 3 years but the date on my TN says October 5th. Does that mean that I can work until october 5th but not after that? I wanted to fly out that weekend and get it done.
Thanks for all the replies!

Damn right you didn't word your post well.:rolleyes:

You can work on that day, which happens to be a friday. To work on Saturday the 6th or any day after that you need either a new TN, or need to have mailed in a TN renewal the 5th or earlier.