Passport application receipt

WhichWay2Go

Registered Users (C)
OK guys, those of you who have read some of my posts know I can get a little anally retentive at times. I call it complete-preparation. :)

Given the high cost and length of time involved in replacing a lost Citizenship Certificate, if I was going to hand it over to the Passport office or Post Office, I wanted a receipt.

I took along a letter I had printed out and then got the PO clerk to stamp it with the PO Office stamp and the hand franking stamp so it had a date on it.

The idea being that if the Certificate is lost in the mail either on its way or its return to me, I would have something in writing to say the PO had it last. If they lose it and I need to replace it I can bill the PO. I would take them to the Small Claims court for the money if I had to.

Here's what I had in the letter.

Received from Brian ..............
Passport application - 2 pages
Certificate of Naturalization in perfect condition
Number xxxxxxxx dated September 11/2009
Personal check - $95.00 #xxxx dated 09/11/2009
Photocopy Drivers License both sides on one sheet
Passport photos - 2

Given the flak I took over suggesting photographing the Certificate before sending it off, :) I am just passing this on in case someone else thinks they might like the idea too.

The important part was the Certificate. The PO clerk had no problems stamping it with the PO name and address stamp and then hand frank it with date.

I guess I like to over think things. :D

Brian,

Did you have any issues filling the form ahead of time (i.e, before oath)? Did the clerk at PO ask anything about it?

Thanks.

Is postal service responsible for lost things ? If yes, why do they make people buy insurance ? And delivery confirmations ?

Is postal service responsible for lost things ? If yes, why do they make people buy insurance ? And delivery confirmations ?

Normally I would have insured it but the Post Office mails it off so we have no control over the stuff after handing it across the counter.

Did you have any issues filling the form ahead of time (i.e, before oath)? Did the clerk at PO ask anything about it?

Hi CP,

Nope, I used the online wizard and it also adds a 2d barcode to the top left corner. The suggestion was that with the barcode the processing may be faster as they just scan all the data from the barcode instead of scanning or typing it in. I did it about early last week, I think it was. So far no problems. :)

The only thing the PO woman said was, "wow, the same photo." :) I replied that I got 4 when they were printed. I then pointed out that the ink was barely dry on the Certificate with Friday's date on it. :)

You need to take a photocopy of the front and back of your driver's license too. They send that in with the application. I used the enlarge option on the photocopy and also needed to lighten it up a lot so it was readable.

Thanks Brian.
My oath is next monday (21st), I am planning to fill and print the form online some time next week.
BTW, Why did the PO woman said "same photo.."? Because the photos were same for the certificate and the passport application?

Hi CP,

Nope, I used the online wizard and it also adds a 2d barcode to the top left corner. The suggestion was that with the barcode the processing may be faster as they just scan all the data from the barcode instead of scanning or typing it in. I did it about early last week, I think it was. So far no problems. :)

The only thing the PO woman said was, "wow, the same photo." :) I replied that I got 4 when they were printed. I then pointed out that the ink was barely dry on the Certificate with Friday's date on it. :)
You need to take a photocopy of the front and back of your driver's license too. They send that in with the application. I used the enlarge option on the photocopy and also needed to lighten it up a lot so it was readable.

Why did the PO woman said "same photo.."? Because the photos were same for the certificate and the passport application?

Yup, I think it surprised her as usually they probably get quite different photos on the Certificates. She was just amused at the seeming coincidence but when I explained I had been Citizen for about 2 hours she understood.

Good luck with all your stuff. The online wizard is really very well done and is easy to go forward and backward if you miss something. Took me about 10 minutes all up. Use a good laser printer as the 2D barcode is quite fine resolution.

WhichWay2Go,
-are you talking about filling the US passport app online and then printing, right?
-I am confused. I can fill out the app before oath, but submit after the oath, right?
-I heard that I can submit my passport app right at the oath ceremony itself. Which is faster: At oath or later at a PO?

My oath is on Sept23.

thank
Sanjit

WhichWay2Go,
-are you talking about filling the US passport app online and then printing, right?
-I am confused. I can fill out the app before oath, but submit after the oath, right?
YES. BUT DO NOT FILL IT TOO EARLY. YOU CAN FILL IN THE APPLICATION FORM ONLINE AND PRINT IT. THE FORM WILL BE PRINTED ALONG WITH A BARCODE. YOU CAN TAKE THIS FORM TO A PASSPORT OFFICE (EX: POST OFFICE) AND COMPLETE APPLICATION, AND SUBMIT AFTER YOU BECOME A CITIZEN (I.E., AFTER OATH).
-I heard that I can submit my passport app right at the oath ceremony itself. Which is faster: At oath or later at a PO?
NOT ALL DO'S OFFER SUBMITTING IMMEDIATELY AFTER OATH. NOT SURE WHICH ONE WOULD BE FASTER, BECAUSE IT DEPENDS ON WHO SENDS THE FORMS TO THE STATE DEPT. FIRST.
My oath is on Sept23.
I THINK YOU CAN PRINT 2/3 DAYS BEFORE YOUR OATH AND KEEP THEM WITH YOU. THEN AFTER OATH, TAKE THEM TO A PASSPORT OFFICE AND APPLY FOR PASSPORT (ALONG WITH OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND PHOTOS). ALSO YOU MAY WANT TO GOTO SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE BEFORE APPLYING FOR PASSPORT AS YOU NEED TO SUBMIT YOUR CERT. ALONG WITH PASSPORT APP FORM ..
thank
Sanjit

Sanjit, you can fill out the online form any time as you sign and date it when you lodge it at the Passport facility or the Post Office so the online date does not matter. You can ONLY submit it after the Oath as it requires the Certificate which you would not yet have.

Apparently some DOs have a Passport facility in the same building. In Phx it is about 2 blocks away but do remember to take a check or money order to pay for it. That's ALL they will accept.

In the Oath packet on your chair, there will be a SSA form and the the SSA guy will be at the Oath and explain it all line by line during the ceremony.

When you walk out of the Ceremony as a proud new USC, go stand in line to do the SSA thing, then hot foot it to the Passport facility or Post Office.

You will need a photocopy of both sides of your Driver's License (or whatever picture ID you are using) for the passport application too.