Passport Application Issue

N400toLawrence

Registered Users (C)
Hello:

This is not exactly related to my passport application at the local post office yesterday but i thought it was interesting. I also doubt what the clerk told me was to be true since US naturalized citizens are from many different countries including myself from Taiwan. I brought my charge with me to the post office for passport application around 10am in Meridian office. I was asked by a Chinese Lady Clerk specifically to put down my place of birth as "CHINA" if i have plan to travel to China in the future because Chinese Govement won't give me a visa if my passport inditify myself as a "Taiwan" born US naturalized citizen. i told the CLERK that I have no intention to travel to CHINA now or future and I can't change where i was born.

Anyone from Taiwan or any other country was asked the same question?

It just doesn't add up to me.

Thank you

Dear N400toLawrence,

I can confirm that the Chinese Embassy visa office in Washington, DC
has no problem with this. If your US passport shows "Place of Birth"
as "TAIWAN", the Chinese Embassy will have no problem issuing you a
tourist visa to China. My girlfriend is also naturalized US citizen from
Taichung, Taiwan. Her current US passport does list "Place of Birth"
as "Taiwan" and she received her Chinese visa two weeks ago. (she
is going to see the Beijing Olympics with her friends in August)

Back to your original question, I think you should have no problem
writing "TAIWAN" on you US passport application.

:)

Could it be that the Chinese lady was pushing her personal ideas on you? Also isn't the correct usage Taiwan ROC ?

Sorry I don't know the answer but I think the lady was just pissed off about indep Taiwan. ;-)

I think that lady shouldn't tell you what to do. I think she is from mainland china and doesn't like to hear the word "taiwan". I think you do whatever you like. It shouldn't be an issue. You are a US citizen and enjoy your freedom.

Thanks

Dear N400toLawrence,

I can confirm that the Chinese Embassy visa office in Washington, DC
has no problem with this. If your US passport shows "Place of Birth"
as "TAIWAN", the Chinese Embassy will have no problem issuing you a
tourist visa to China. My girlfriend is also naturalized US citizen from
Taichung, Taiwan. Her current US passport does list "Place of Birth"
as "Taiwan" and she received her Chinese visa two weeks ago. (she
is going to see the Beijing Olympics with her friends in August)

Back to your original question, I think you should have no problem
writing "TAIWAN" on you US passport application.

:)

Thank You

It wasn't a question and I have no intention changing my birth place as i am just as proud to be born in Taiwan as being a U.S Citizen. I thought this was interesting and wanted to share with everyone on forum. This might be an unique case where post office employee (i applied at my local post office, not sure if they are contracted by the passport agency) who has strong political view over the China-Taiwan issue.

Red Flag

I think that lady shouldn't tell you what to do. I think she is from mainland china and doesn't like to hear the word "taiwan". I think you do whatever you like. It shouldn't be an issue. You are a US citizen and enjoy your freedom.

I thought the situation was unique and wasn't happy that she told me what to do about my birth place. Below if our conversation, L=Lady working at post office for my passport, M=me.
L: Hello, Mrs. Lawrence
M: Morning, and here is everything you need, and pulled out my debit card too.
L: Thank You, you are well prepared
M: You are welcome, i hope this will make your job easier. I was picturing a 5 minute business here (the guys in front of me took at least 15-20 minutes each)
L: If everyone came in prepared like you, it would make things easier
M: Thank You
L: Do you have any plans visiting China?
M: No, Why?
L: Chinese embassy won't issue you a visa if your place of birth is Taiwan, would you like to change it to read China?
M: No, Thank you. I did not know this was going to be an issue.
L: Ya, the Chinese govement is very straight about this.
M: Thank You for your reminder, i have on intention traveling to China now or in distant future and i will not change where i was born. Thanks again.
L: Please sign here (pointed at paper) and gave me a receipt.

She spoke Chinese to a man two places before me and that's why i was sure she is either from China or Taiwan. I can't really tell from her accent where she is from.