Partial days outside the U.S. counting

Hannah7

Registered Users (C)
I am curious how the computation of partial days outside the country works. On the N-400 you must list all the date in/out and days spent outside the country.

So for example if I left on July 27th and came back on August 21st am I out of the country 25 days? Or is it 26 days or maybe just 24 days?

Somewhere I heard that even if you spend an hour of a day in the U.S. it counts as a full day for naturalization purposes. So if I go to Mexico today at 3am in the morning and come back tomorrow at 10pm, did I accrue one day of absence or not?

It's a weird rule. I counted the day I left and returned as days in the US, so in that example, 24 days outside.

Your second example is more tricky. You could put 0 days, but many might just put 1.

In the end, if you don't have 900 days outside the US, I don't think it matters what you choose to do.

Do you have so many days outside the US that this matters? If you have that many days, try to wait until you have enough physical presence that you don't need to rely on counting both the exit and entry dates as days in the US in order to meet the 913 day requirement.

Similar question. Me I am going to have maybe up to 860 days out of country, I don't know how pesky are they about it when it gets close to 913 days.

It depends on the person interviewing you, and your travel pattern/work/tax situation. If it's all legit, then they really can't do much to you.

It depends on the person interviewing you, and your travel pattern/work/tax situation. If it's all legit, then they really can't do much to you.

Somebody on the forum was denied because they had just just enough presence to add up to barely over 913 days in the US when counting both the exit and entry date as full days in the US, but the interviewer only counted one end of each trip as a day in the US.

If denied for that reason, you should win the appeal, but it's better if you can avoid having to appeal in the first place.

Hey Pablo,
Similar question. Me I am going to have maybe up to 860 days out of country, I don't know how pesky are they about it when it gets close to 913 days.
how did it go? My husband has 800 days out of country, did they ask you for more evidence?