Part-time Job experience and EB2 Requirements

bonzy

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know if the duration of relevant part-time job (20 hours/week) can be counted towards total years of work experience? My attorney is not sure if a part-time job (for a full one year) should be considered towards total years of work experience in light of it being part-time. She is saying that generally it is based on fulltime equivalent.

According to my attorney, I am short of 5 years experience by 0.64 years. Her calculation is coming to 4.36 years. According to my calculation it is coming to 5.37 years.

Here's breakdown of my work experience.
Jan 2001 - May 2005: 227 weeks full time (40 hours/week)
Jan 2000 - Dec 2000: 52 weeks part-time (20 hours/week)

Therefore, (227+52)/52 = 5.36.

What my attorney is saying is it should be 227/52=4.36?

Is there anywhere some information on whether duration of part-time job can count towards total years of work experience.

Any help/advice in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amar

bonzy said:
Does anyone know if the duration of relevant part-time job (20 hours/week) can be counted towards total years of work experience? My attorney is not sure if a part-time job (for a full one year) should be considered towards total years of work experience in light of it being part-time. She is saying that generally it is based on fulltime equivalent.

According to my attorney, I am short of 5 years experience by 0.64 years. Her calculation is coming to 4.36 years. According to my calculation it is coming to 5.37 years.

Here's breakdown of my work experience.
Jan 2001 - May 2005: 227 weeks full time (40 hours/week)
Jan 2000 - Dec 2000: 52 weeks part-time (20 hours/week)

Therefore, (227+52)/52 = 5.36.

What my attorney is saying is it should be 227/52=4.36?

Is there anywhere some information on whether duration of part-time job can count towards total years of work experience.

Any help/advice in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amar

The question is what kind of part-time job. If that is the industrial part-time job, you could use it. If that is a graduate assistant part-time job, I doubt so since you plan to use it with BS+5 and EB2. In EB2, the experience MUST be PROGRESSIVE in nature after BS degree. Graduate assistant experience is not anything related with your work exprience after you graduate. However, you could use that experience for BS+5 and EB3 (USCIS much relax on EB3 for the work experience part)
Even if it is use, the number = (227 - 2) + (52-2)/2
If you don't have exact date, you could assume they will use the last day of the starting month and the first day of the completed month to count :)

Last edited by a moderator: