Parole

m_dec

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,

we have a valid (7th year of stay) H1 and H4 extention till Aug 2003. Do we need parole as we are planning a trip to india in May?

Thanks.

f you have a Valid Visa stamped on your Passport . You do not require AP.

I read this in the instructions page for the AP form .

Thanks kazi74

It is not stamped on the passport. We will be doing that during our stay in india.

Will it work?any idea?

thanks for your response.

Originally posted by kazi74
f you have a Valid Visa stamped on your Passport . You do not require AP.

I read this in the instructions page for the AP form .

When it comes to immigration related matters, better be safe than sorry. I would suggest that you apply for AP and carry it with you even if you plan to use your H1 for re-entry. Especially, if you don't have a multiple-entry visa stamped on your passport, it's safer to get it done here by sending your papers to the State Department office in St Louis, MO. That will spare you some trouble while in India and you can enjoy your vacation with peace of mind. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your suggestions

I found this on INS website and One of our friends followed this. he didn't have any problem while reentering.

"Note: Aliens holding valid H-1 (temporary worker in a specialty occupation) or L-1 (intra-company transferee) visas and their dependants who have filed for adjustment of status do not have to file for Advance Parole as long as they maintain their non-immigrant status. "

Thanks

m_dec,

You are right in what you said. However, it pertains to only 485 adjustees who have a valid H1 visa stamped in the passport.

It is ok to go to India and stamp the passport at the US consulate. The question is "what if you are denied?". Be ready to face the reality of denial, however small the chances may be.

Sending your passport to MO would be a safer bet if you have a similar visa, expired no earlier than a year ago.

AP is always safe because your return is guaranteed.

Good Luck!

If you don't have a valid H1 visa stamped on your passport - get an AP!

Nowadays, you could face a long delay at the consulate when you apply for a non-immigrant visa.
And also, think about this .... Your trip to India is in May, and your H1 & H4 extension expires in Aug. So let's see, by the time you apply for a visa you will only have less than 3 months before the extension expires ... hmmmmm, I wonder if the consulate will approve the visa.

There are lot of lucky ones that visa application were delayed 2-6 months for security check. I would not risk to stay outside of the country for 6 months without knowing my employer will still hire me.

Thanks guys.

Where could I find the info. about sending the papers to the State Department office in St Louis, MO or anywhere else? generally, how long it takes to get back the passport?

I have heard about the Washington, DC office only.

Thanks.

You said that you didn't have the H1 visa on your passport, so forget about State Dept. They only accept visa revalidation/renewal.

I strongly suggest that you apply for an AP NOW! It can take 5-6 weeks to get an AP, but the process is very straight forward.

I think what he means is that his previous multiple-entry stamp has expired and he needs to get a new one.

Go to http://travel.state.gov/revals.html. Earlier, they would send your passport back within a couple of weeks. I don't know how long it takes now. You might want to ask that question to others who have recently revalidated their H1 visas in the US.

I would strongly suggest getting an AP AND a multiple-entry visa stamp on your passport just to be on the safe side. Also carry your 485 Receipt Notice and EAD when you're traveling. You can try using your H1 for entry. Most probably, that should do it. If it doesn't, you could always fall back on your AP.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
be warned...

I have heard that they have stopped the drop box service in Delhi? Everyone has to have an interview. of course this is only second hand info...