Parents stayed outside USA while on GC

foobar007

Registered Users (C)
My parents got their GC around 2009. They maintained GC status until 2012, i.e lived in US for almost 9 months in a year. They haven't been back in US since 2012. They both had serious health issues since, didn't get an opportunity to come to US. Now they would like to come to US.

What are the options available in this case? If the existing GC is not valid, can they surrender the GC, get a non-immigrant visa?

Thank you for the reply!

No ifs .... GC definitely isnt valid.

Should have surrendered GC while it was Valid and obtain a B1 Visa.

My parents got their GC around 2009. They maintained GC status until 2012, i.e lived in US for almost 9 months in a year. They haven't been back in US since 2012. They both had serious health issues since, didn't get an opportunity to come to US. Now they would like to come to US.

What are the options available in this case? If the existing GC is not valid, can they surrender the GC, get a non-immigrant visa?

Thank you for the reply!

Do they want to visit or live in the US?
If they want to live there they can try apply for a sb1 visa, it’s tough to get though. Or you can just sponsor them again (assuming you are a USC).
They can certainly try surrendering the green card (kind of moot as it’s abandoned by now anyway) and apply for a visit visa, which may be difficult to get with a history of immigrant intent.

Another thing to consider, medical options for the elderly in the US. US visa officers seem to be looking into that of late.

Do they want to visit or live in the US?
If they want to live there they can try apply for a sb1 visa, it’s tough to get though. Or you can just sponsor them again (assuming you are a USC).
They can certainly try surrendering the green card (kind of moot as it’s abandoned by now anyway) and apply for a visit visa, which may be difficult to get with a history of immigrant intent.

They would like to just visit US.
From what I've read in online forums, one must surrender the GC (Form I-407) before applying for Non-immigrant visa.

Another thing to consider, medical options for the elderly in the US. US visa officers seem to be looking into that of late.
Hi folks I had same scenario like my father was sick for long time in my home country so my mom had to stay over their.
but bad news on jan 01 2020 my father passed away now my mom want to back us though my dad no more ,
so if I apply for SB1 is any chance to get it??