Parents required for the oath ceremony?

izzie

Hello, I have looked through the FAQ but I was not able to find the answer I was looking for. I apologize if this question popped up frequently.

But, my parents are U.S. citizens, and at that time, I was 17 years old, and my parents filed the N-600 form.

I received the appointment, and I am wondering if my parent must accompany me.
On the letter it only specifies children under the age of fourteen is required, but I am wondering if the parent must be there for all children.

I am just nervous, because my parents cannot accompany me that day.

Thank you,
izzie

I'm not sure. What does the letter say? That children under fourteen have to go accompanied by a parent, or that a parent must be present if the child is under 14 (which is pretty much what I said, but reordering the words :) Anyway, if your parents can't go they can't go, that's it. I would say go, if they need your parents they will let you know and schedule another date for the interview/oath. My gut feeling is that their presence is not needed.

The letter says...

"Children under the age of 14 do not have to appear for the appointment, however the parent who has US citizenship must appear. Children over fourteen must sign their certificate as well as their photographs, and attend the oath ceremony in the presence of Immigration Offer. Please bring proof of identity, and any items checked above, there will be no exceptions."

Ok, I am not sure, but my understanding is that you applied as an adult. It might be possible that no parent needs to be present and that the line you wrote refers only to children cases under 18.

I would just go to the interview and see what they tell you.

"Children under the age of 14 do not have to appear for the appointment, however the parent who has US citizenship must appear. Children over fourteen must sign their certificate as well as their photographs, and attend the oath ceremony in the presence of Immigration Offer. Please bring proof of identity, and any items checked above, there will be no exceptions."

No this sounds to me like they are exempting children under 14 to appear and that in that case a parent must show up instead of the minor.. In your case it sounds like you do not need your parents present just the paperwork they are asking for.

good luck ;)