Parents location and GC sponsorship

Immigration101

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I am a US citizen based in CA. My parents are currently visiting my sister's in Kansas. I would like to apply for a greencard for my parents through AOS. I have a couple of starter questions :

1) Does it matter that they are currently not living in the same state / district as me.

2) I assume that my parents application will be processed by Nebraska service center if I file for them while they are in Kansas. Is there a difference in processing time for AOS between the CSC and NSC?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Anyone? Even if you guys are able to point me the right direction on where to research this, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks.

Immigration 101,

If your parents are here in the USA, you can file concurrently (I-130 and I-485) sent together to the Chicago Lockbox facility ( 1 envelope for each parent). Follow all the instructions for each form.
I do not believe your parents not living with you is an issue as long as you file the I-864 form (affidavit of support) but experts on this website can weigh in on this one for you.
Please understand that you will need to qualify under the 30/60/90 day rule prior to filing for their green card. There are several links on explaining this rule on this forum..do a search. This tells you if it is okay/safe for you to file for your parents depending on when they last entered the USA on say a Visitor visa...
Hope this helps. Do NOT send to that Nebraska address even if jurisdiction wise, it might be the office. Parent Petitions of US Citizens are handled differently (IRO category - Immediate Relative) and hence all forms as mentioned above should be sent to the Chicago Lockbox facility. good luck.