parents greencard with visitor visa

confusedn400

Registered Users (C)
hi, i have a weird scenario, and need help and guidance.

-my parents are in usa on 10 year visitor visa, this is their 3rd visit and now changed mind to stay here.
-can i apply for i-130/i-485 aos while they are here or they should go back and then apply. i am seeing mixed messages and was not sure about the appropriate process
-my father has medical situation, lung cancer which is noncommunicable disease, will this create issue during the interview.
-visitor visa is valid till jan 2015, so if they apply soon, how soon they can get greencard?

thanks again, i am really confused and need guidance from experts.

They can do either way. Totally optional. There's no right way but consular processing is more formal.
The validity of their visa doesn't affect the length of the process. If all the papers are in order it takes approximately 6 months for them to change status.

thanks for the quick response. i have follow up questions:
- you mentioned cp is more formal, but aos is fine too, right? and how many days after in usa that they can file for it?
- in the interview process, do the parents go, or the sponsor or me goes too?

sorry, i am new and confused, and really appreciate all the help.

They should not come to visit with the intent of to do AOS. It happens all the time but preconceived intent is a problem. If they happen to come and decide to do it at a later time it's OK. It's a technicality. Usually a few months after a visit people can change their minds. If they already decided they should do CP.

For the interview parents and sponsor should go.

They should not come to visit with the intent of to do AOS. It happens all the time but preconceived intent is a problem. If they happen to come and decide to do it at a later time it's OK. It's a technicality. Usually a few months after a visit people can change their minds. If they already decided they should do CP.

For the interview parents and sponsor should go.

OP said the parents are already in the U.S.

can anyone provide input on following:
-my father has medical situation, lung cancer which is noncommunicable disease, will this create issue during the interview.

what about medical exam and vaccinations, and if the dr says that he cannot take vaccines due to the existing condition.

thanks again.

can anyone provide input on following:

what about medical exam and vaccinations, and if the dr says that he cannot take vaccines due to the existing condition.

thanks again.

i can understand there might be limited number of people who might have gone through this, but will really appreciate any general guidance and or tips to deal with medical conditions and AOS.