Parents Green Card Requirement

Berry2

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My sister applied for a green card on behalf of my parents what was awarded about 2 years ago. In order to maintain their green card since they do not plan to move to the US anytime soon, they are required to visit the US every 6 months. This is causing a strain both financially and in terms of finding vacation time to come over to the US.

Is there any form they can file with the US Immigration to extend the 6 month requirement so they don't have to come to the US twice a year?

Bad news, but there is no requirement that says "if you visit the USA every 6 months your GC will be fine". That is a common misconception.

Your parents need to be living in PERMANENTLY in the USA RIGHT NOW. They must maintain their GCs by having a residence in the USA, jobs, ties to the USA, filing taxes, etc.

Otherwise one of these days, they will be stopped at the POE and their GCs revoked.

Again there is no such thing as the "6 month" requirement. They are required to live in the USA.

Save you the time and money, surrender their GCs and file for them again when time is right for them to move to the USA.

Hello,

My sister applied for a green card on behalf of my parents what was awarded about 2 years ago. In order to maintain their green card since they do not plan to move to the US anytime soon, they are required to visit the US every 6 months. This is causing a strain both financially and in terms of finding vacation time to come over to the US.

Is there any form they can file with the US Immigration to extend the 6 month requirement so they don't have to come to the US twice a year?

Your parents are risking losing their Permanent Residency Status. They are not required to visit the US, they are expected to live here.

If domicile has been established in the U.S., as in they live here permanently, and they intend to visit another country for a significant length of time, they can apply for a re-entry permit.

Visit the USCIS website for up-to-date information on how to apply using Form I-191. They have to have established the U.S. as their home though.

From what you have mentioned in your post it does not seem that they have established domicile in the U.S. I would address that as soon as possible or the USCIS may find that they have abandoned their Permanent Resident Status.