Parent's AOS Approved !!

jenimmi

Registered Users (C)
My mom's AOS case was approved. :)

Interview was a breeze. I was skeptical if I'd be allowed to be the interpreter. Recently I'd heard stories where sponsor was not allowed to be the interpreter, So I coached my mom with all the Q & A on the forms I-130, 485, G-325A, even I-131 :) the day before, until she was confident enough.

On the day of interview, we cut it too close to the interview time b'cos of going around in circles, trying to locate the Cherry Hill DO in NJ. I've never seen any office building this small, let alone immigration office. It was so crammed. Just as we were entering the lobby after the security check, my Mom's name was called. My Mom kinda panicked and we rushed in behind the IO. The IO totally didn't belong there at all - she was young, slim, model-like (with great clothes and shoes), pleasant and polite. I was wondering how on earth they hire such people at immigration? :D

We were asked to swear to tell the truth. As my Mom had a problem understanding what was going on (yeah.. I forgot to tell her about the swearing part), IO asked me if I am going to be the interpreter. I replied, if IO can say things slowly and clearly, my Mom should be able to manage without the translation help. And so it started..

IO asked me for 2 IDs (Driver's license and my US PP) and my Mom - her PP. Asked me for my 2005 tax returns (which I didn't file at the time of application as we hadn't filed our returns in Jan'06). I gave her originals of 2005 Joint tax transcripts, my W2 and a recent employment letter (which I had gotten only a couple of weeks ago). She seemed to be happy with that. After going thro a few other docs on the file, she asked us for original Birth certificates for my Mom and myself. Since my Mom didn't have a BC, I told her we only have the NABC (Non-availability BC) - she said that was fine.

Next step was the actual interview. These were the questions asked (I know it's boring but I'm typing these as someone or their parents might benefit from this) and they were mostly from the forms we had filed. Some questions were based on her trip with AP.

First few questions were for me:
What is your name? I didn't say my middle name the first time - but she repeated the question once again - and then I realized I had to say the full name - first middle and last.
What is your date of birth?
What is your present address?

The other questions were for my Mom:

What is your full name?
What is your date of birth?
What is your address in US?
What is your address abroad?
When did you enter US recently?
Where did you enter US this time? (POE)
Where did you enter US with your visitor visa? - My Mom got confused by this question - I had to translate this one - so she would know that this time she entered US while in AOS - and the last time was the one she entered as a visitor, b'cos they were 2 different POEs.
How long did you stay abroad, before returning to US in Adv Parole? (IO wanted to know the exact months and days and made a note of it on the file)
How many times did you leave US in Advance Parole -
Is this the first/only time?
What is your husband's name?
What are your childrens' names?
What is your mother's name?
What is your father's name?

And then she asked me : Is your father not living with you in this address?

Back to my Mom, she asked ALL the questions from the page that my Mom answered "NO" - like - Are you a criminal, are you a terrorist, do you deal with drugs, are you planning to overthrow US government etc., Are you planning to practice bigamy - we were all subtly smiling when these questions were asked and answered, considering it was my Mom these questions were being asked. With the bigamy one, I burst out laughing remembering what my Mom said when I was explaining this to her at home. IO looked at me quizzically and I told her my Mom said she had enough with one husband and is definitely not looking for another, at least in this life. We all had a good laugh and with that the interview was coming to an end.

She verified originals with copies and left the room to make copies for her file. While returning the originals to me she said she will be right back, probably to get her supervisor's approval. When she was back, she put a nice red stamp on my Mom's PP (I was surprised, I thought they don't stamp the PP anymore) - we knew then my Mom was approved. I thanked the IO for making it quick and simple. She said she had never seen anyone so excited (referring to my Mom) when their name was called for an immigration interview. :)

We were in and out in less than a half hour, with my Mom so relieved that she actually dealt with an interview in all american "English". Now you can hum the vonage ad music right here :D

Already got the welcome notice by email, now waiting for GC :D

Congratulations, Jen

Thanks for sharing your mom's experiences in such a great details. This is very useful for me to practise with my parents.

Jen,

Congratulations to you and your mom!! You stayed on top of the case through the twists and turns at CIS and now here it is! Hopefully your dad's CP will be done soon and you will be a proud child of GC holder parents!! :)

Thanks, guys!

Thanks horiba, good luck with your parents interview! :)

Thank you, Anahit and needurhelp. You guys stood by me almost all the time, when I was down and when I had all those questions. You are great forum friends.. :D
And Suzy too.. she's a great friend :D

Thanks lp, I'll reply to your PM soon.
Thanks, envision. My mom's from India. Speaking English is not her cup of tea.. at least not yet :)

Thank you, Visaapplicant. I appreciate your kind words and wishes.
If there's one thing any one has to learn from you, it must be "PATIENCE". I guess it paid off and hopefully for you, it's smooth sailing with NVC from here on. You're quietly doing a great job of helping people with your knowledge and a BIG Thank you for that :)

I'm using this opportunity to also thank Ari immensely, who has anwered so many questions for me through the process - especially when I didn't have a clue about BC and what one has to do when they don't have one and the... AP thingy. Where did you disappear, Ari? :D

And to cherr who's helping anyone and everyone, thank you.

Hey.. I'm not saying not good-bye, yet..

Congratulations Jen!
I specifically logged in tonight to wish you and your mother on getting her GC approved. A big hurdle out of your way :)

Take care.
-ari

congrat.!!

need your adv.My parents are in US on visit VISA.can i change there status while they are in US. what do i need to file.do i need to take lawyer( they are very expensive). your guiednce will help me alot.

thanks

kab901 said:
congrat.!!

need your adv.My parents are in US on visit VISA.can i change there status while they are in US. what do i need to file.do i need to take lawyer( they are very expensive). your guiednce will help me alot.

thanks

I have read your other thread about sponsoring spouse.

First and foremost thing you need to do is read the sticky threads of this forum, USCIS website and then start asking questions. It will be easy for any reader to answer them selectively. Otherwise, we have to repeat the same thing over and over and over....

kab901 said:
congrat.!!

thanks

Thanks.

If you are a USC, yes.. you can sponsor your parents to change their status from Visitor's visa to that of PR. And you don't need a lawyer if you do this:
At the risk of repeating what needurhelp said, please read the sticky thread "GC for parents". It (particularly the first post) has every detail of the Parents' GC process covered PLUS you also have timelines to look at for your DO.
Good luck!