Parallel Green Card Processing - Is it okay?

Madhusudan Chaganthi

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I finished my Masters here and I have been working on a H1 \'B\' in US for almost 3 years. Meanwhile, my employer has started on my GC processing. Finished the LC process 6 months ago.
I recently got married to a US citizen and I would like to apply for a family based GC too through her..
Can I process 2 different kinds of GC applications at the same time or should I give up one of them?
Hoping to hear soon from someone.
Thanks
Madhu

Same boat

Hi Madhu,

I am in the same boat, my 485 has been almost a year, I should get my GC sometime in Jan or Feb (at least that is what I gather from the processing times), but now I am thinking that I should apply through my wife (who is a US citizen). I spoke to a couple of lawyers and they said that I can apply and neither of them will get affected. But they said that since I am so close to getting it, it would not serve any purpose.

I am going to meet with another lawyer and confirm.

But I do have this to say, you get your citizenship in 3 years if you are married to a US Citizen instead of 5 if you go through employment. From what I understand you still get it in 3 years if you are married to a US citizen and got your GC thorugh employment. That is what I am going to find out and what I want to know.

Found out more

Hello,

I spoke to 4 lawyers, and 3 of them tell me that if I get my GC through employment I can still get my citizenship in 3 years because I am married to a US Citizen.

Any one know any different ?

Thanks

No Title

here is what N-400 says:
you may apply for naturalization if:
... y you have been a permanent resident for 3 years, have been married to a United States citizen for those three years, and continue to be married to that US citizen"
It does not say anything about "obtaining permanent residency thru your spouse".

I think you are good

No Title

N-400 is Naturalization application (to become an American citizen)
I was answering "found out more" message.

I-140 and I-485 at the same time

Hi
My firm has applied for my I-140 a few months ago and I want to apply for I-130 and I-485 via my wife (she is a US citizen).

Is it permissible to have these 2 applications processed in parallel?

Thanks
Madhu

I believe So

I think you can apply for them both at the same time, my issue was that I was already at 8 months into I-485 when I got married.

But in your case you should consider which one you want to go for, because one might be easier and you won\'t have to shell out the cost twice.

I-140 and I-485

Its true that I am paying for both (one through my company attorney, the other I am doing myself) but I would like to have my EAD through my wife\'s I-485 so that in case I get laid off from my job, I dont have to worry about my status. Especially considering today\'s market.

See what I am saying?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Madhu