P Visa information

gcforparents8

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I searched the forum and this is the only forum I can find regarding P visa, however, there is no information available. Can someone tell me where I can find P visa related information? :confused:

Thanks!

P visas are for aliens entering the United States to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized competition.

More info here:

How long can I stay as a P1? Can I extend my stay?
Initial status – A P1 is normally admitted for a period necessary to accomplish the event or activity, plus up to 10 days before the validity period of the petition and up to 10 days after the petition expires. P1 athletes can be granted initial status for up to 10 years. Other P1’s can be granted initial status for up to I year.
Maximum stay – P1 workers can be granted extensions of stay in 12-month increments based on subsequent I-129 petitions filed by employers. The maximum stay for a P1 athlete is 10 years. There is no actual maximum cutoff on the length of time other P1’s can work in the U.S.
Back to P1 – internationally recognized athletes and entertainers Nonimmigrant Categories General Nonimmigrant Information Nonimmigrant Services
Can a P1 athlete be traded?
An individual athlete who is a P1 can be traded. When traded, the P1’s status will automatically continue for 30 days after the trade to allow the new employer to file a new P1 petition on form I-129.
Back to P1 – internationally recognized athletes and entertainers Nonimmigrant Categories General Nonimmigrant Information Nonimmigrant Services
Can a P1 work for more than one employer or change employers?
Multiple locations - A P1 can work in more than one location, if listed in the itinerary included with the P1 petition.
Changing employers- A P1 worker can change employers, but first the new employer must file a new P1 petition, and we must approve the petition.
Multiple employers - A P1 worker is allowed to work for more than one employer at a time. However, each employer must follow the process in applying for a P1, and the employment cannot start until we approve the petition.
As a P1, can my family come with me? Can they work or go to school?
Your husband or wife and unmarried children under 21 can accompany you as your dependents.
When dependents marry or turn 21 - They will no longer be eligible for dependent status in these categories. They must apply to change to another status or depart the U.S.
Working – P4 dependents cannot work in the U.S.
Extending their stay – P4 dependents can extend their stay to remain with the P1. Use form I-539 to apply. For more information about extensions of stay, click here.
Going to school – It would require a change of status.

Last edited by a moderator:
P-1 Information

Hi, thanks so much for the information! I want to file a petition for an alien athlete to come here work as a coach at my home teaching my kids and other kids. Do you know what the requirements are for me? Do I need to officially register as a business owner in order to do that?

Thanks, Jason

Well, you could ask random people on the internet if they know it, or you could go back to the VisaPoint web site and follow the instructions.