Out of the blue and into the black?

More on Security Checks

I did wonder about that -- but there is a N/A option in the I-485 Quality Assurance check list -- CIA checks probably only happen for those names that produce a certain kind of hit.

Glad to hear that you are an IV member and contributor. May our tribe increase!

And the decision was...?

dl1cd said:
No, I do not need a manual - I just need the conviction that doing so is the right thing. By joining an interest group, of which I have very little (or none) understanding, I am not sure I would be dong the right thing. I have heard that "A fool and his money are soon parted" - I am NOT saying that this would be the case here, but I like to look before I leap instead of taking leaps of faith :)

No offense meant - I will take a look at the web site.

So? What did you decide? To lurk some more?
Hope that some "other" people can act to change your life?

Come on dude! At least join as a member -- that is absolutely free! And volunteering for your own cause is also free!

BTW, I am bugging dl1cd simply because he might be an excellent example of someone who is stuck in the system, but still won't actually do anything to help change it..

... to continue to sit on the fence :)

I am not that easily "ignited" .. :)

I am not convinced that joining IV (free member or contributing member) is the answer, and I speak from experience. Of course, your perspective is different from mine - and in a free country, every one can and does think freely.

A few years back, I was in a European country which suddenly realized that they had to do something to curb the influx of illegal immigrants - (I was there legally) - and they decided in the first week of December that the best way to do things is quash all current visas and work permits from 1st of January - even though mine was good fo another 8 months, with an expected renewal along the way. Some folks got together and hired a lawyer to fight this decree, we pooled in money and energy and took out time for weekly meetings etc. The end result was nothing to write home about.

Once bitten ..

But hey - may be your experience will be better!

It is time to join together at IV NOW!!!

We nearly tasted success at S.1932, but we only lost because AILA & business leaders had their own agenda. Everyone, everyone - including the anti-immigrationists agree that something is bound to happen with immigration (they want to just restrict themselves to border security / enforcement). Most people think the bills will get a hearing end-March 2006.
Imagine if we had IV up & running, and QGA speaking for us during S. 1932! Just imagine, just imagine, friends !
BTW I am just a victim of retrogression, and do not personally know anyone at IV.
Well, we can only move forward - but some people have gotten together to start IV ! But only all of us can see it to fruition! We owe it to ourselves and our families to have our voices heard!
Contacting senators / Congressmen, sending faxes & emails and all of the other stuff is important. But, all legislation is actually a collection of deals made behind the scenes. Those of you who know the S. 1932 stories, and I just heard whatever was posted here & there and do not personally have any special inside info, know that the anti-retro provisions were there only because of AILA / business lobbying.
Think about this - somebody went to a CA Senator's office recently, and were told that they were unaware of retrogression. It is possible that only the staffer was unaware / uninformed, and yet, both the CA Senators had voted against the Byrd amendment!
Quite possible (a)the staffer was unaware - one of the CA Senators is actually fighting for re-election, and Cindy Sheehan has actually thought of opposing her - so she may be hiring more/new staff. But,(b) maybe the Senator is indeed unaware.
Yet she voted for us when it was needed!
It was the lobbying that made it possible.
LOBBYISTS ARE A LEGITIMATE WAY TO GET HEARD in Washington,
AND THEY NEED TO BE PAID.
Please do the math for yourself everybody, vote with your wallet now, and hope to be successful soon!

Or, wait years on the death row version of Immigration, with no end in sight in the normal course!
JOIN IV NOW, and get your friends / neighbors / relatives/ everyone who can - atleast do it yourself - for yourself!

Poster Child for Passivity.

dl1cd said:

I am not convinced that joining IV (free member or contributing member) is the answer, and I speak from experience. Of course, your perspective is different from mine - and in a free country, every one can and does think freely.

A few years back, I was in a European country which suddenly realized that they had to do something to curb the influx of illegal immigrants - (I was there legally) - and they decided in the first week of December that the best way to do things is quash all current visas and work permits from 1st of January - even though mine was good fo another 8 months, with an expected renewal along the way. Some folks got together and hired a lawyer to fight this decree, we pooled in money and energy and took out time for weekly meetings etc. The end result was nothing to write home about.

Once bitten ..

Clearly you are born to be fence sitter and I am not a fan. So you believe that being passive is better than doing something? And if something doesn't work once you shouldn't try again? Most of what is amazing in this world wouldn't happen if people took that attitude. There would be no civil rights struggle, no Indian independence, no tech firms, no science ..... it is across the board.

No European country I know of has a Congressional system that works like the US does. It is hardly the appropriate comparison. And we struggled to get S 1932 passed, and yet we are ready to try again.

I sincerely hope that this "living off the fat of the land/other peoples activism" attitude doesn't rule the day.

If they took you attitude, why should the members of this board devote their time to developing trackers, post news etc to help everyone -- they should each sit and only help themselves. Dude, they should all refuse to respond to your requests for help!

best,
Berkeleybee

Un-ignitable Dude/Dudette

dl1cd said:

Once bitten ..

dl1cd,

Does the word "parasite" ring a bell to you?
If not Webster defines the word "parasite" as:
1: a person who exploits the hospitality of the rich
2 : an organism living in, with, or on another organism in parasitism
3 : something that resembles a biological parasite in dependence on something else for existence or support without making a useful or adequate return.

Good luck.

No need to get personal ...

RAYDHAN said:
dl1cd,

3 : something that resembles a biological parasite in dependence on something else for existence or support without making a useful or adequate return.

Good luck.

Guys and Gals,

I have been reading the past few posts and its makes for interesting reading. All I have to say is that everyone is entilted to their own opinion and no one can be forced to do things that they do not fully believe in. Whether their belief is right or not is irrelevant because everyone finds a way to justify their belief system. In the end everyone will have to deal with the consequences of the choices they make based on their beliefs. Let time be
the judge here. Lets not resort to name calling if people do not believe in the effectiveness of IV. The goal of IV members should be to spread the word about IV and encourage people to join. If people decide not to join the organization then its their choice. It could also mean that IVs message is not getting across properly and something needs to done about that. Who knows?

People just cannot be forced to fight for a cause even if it has the potential to ultimately benefit them.

regards,

saras76

Last edited by a moderator:
RAYDHAN said:
dl1cd,

Good luck.
As a knee-jerk Pavolvian reflex? Sure, it does! I know exactly what you are talking about. So, by not joining IV, I become a parasite by your definition - hmm, I guess you are entitled to your opinion they way I am entitled to deflect this ungainful parring. Good luck to you!

berkeleybee said:
Clearly you are born to be fence sitter and I am not a fan. So you believe that being passive is better than doing something? And if something doesn't work once you shouldn't try again? Most of what is amazing in this world wouldn't happen if people took that attitude. There would be no civil rights struggle, no Indian independence, no tech firms, no science ..... it is across the board.

No European country I know of has a Congressional system that works like the US does. It is hardly the appropriate comparison. And we struggled to get S 1932 passed, and yet we are ready to try again.

I sincerely hope that this "living off the fat of the land/other peoples activism" attitude doesn't rule the day.

If they took you attitude, why should the members of this board devote their time to developing trackers, post news etc to help everyone -- they should each sit and only help themselves. Dude, they should all refuse to respond to your requests for help!

best,
Berkeleybee
True .. I did not know by posting a question on this forum, I would be pressurized to join IV, have my belief system attacked, called names etc. Tell me, have you really succeeded in "converting" some one by such means? Ah, ignore it - it is a rhetorical question.

May your effort succeed - I have nothing but admiration for your belief - good luck!

dl1cd said:
True .. I did not know by posting a question on this forum, I would be pressurized to join IV, have my belief system attacked, called names etc. Tell me, have you really succeeded in "converting" some one by such means? Ah, ignore it - it is a rhetorical question.

May your effort succeed - I have nothing but admiration for your belief - good luck!

What you are seeing the frustration of passionate activists. The same frustration that Gandhians in the Indian Independence movement felt towards people who would not join in civil disobedience, that participants in the civil rights struggle felt towards people who did not speak up and join the protest.

People who stood by and then benefited from the sweat, strategizing and activism of the rest. Every movement needs a critical mass of people -- people who know the problem. No activist feels great when he/she meets a fence sitter, especially when the fence sitter is asking for help on the very problem the activist is trying to remove through legislative action. You are simply one more example of such a person.

best,
Berkeleybee

berkeleybee said:
What you are seeing the frustration of passionate activists. The same frustration that Gandhians in the Indian Independence movement felt towards people who would not join in civil disobedience, that participants in the civil rights struggle felt towards people who did not speak up and join the protest.

People who stood by and then benefited from the sweat, strategizing and activism of the rest. Every movement needs a critical mass of people -- people who know the problem. No activist feels great when he/she meets a fence sitter, especially when the fence sitter is asking for help on the very problem the activist is trying to remove through legislative action. You are simply one more example of such a person.

best,
Berkeleybee
A procession is in progress and an onlooker happens to ask a person in that procession the way to reach point X. That person says .. well, this is the procession to reach the point X, why don't you join us? The onlooker says "Hmm, let me think about it". The person in the procession gets agitated, calls names, likens the procession to a noble Gandhian peace march to end world hunger (OK, perhaps not), a second person in the same procession teaches the meaning of the word "parasite" ... whoa! What do you think the onlooker does?

Frustration at the system should never be taken out on others. One might have joined IV, who knows, without this unsolicited outpouring of "warmth" and "affection".

My way or the highway? Heard that before!

Well said dl1cd! In the name "passionate activisits" and activism, many an agenda has been pushed forward throughout history. Another analogy that comes to mind is a German soldier under Hitler's regime who is angry and upset at a fellow german civilian who does not share the former's ideology of annihilating all jews of the world. I think our passions are unfounded if they coerce another to share our views, actions and passions without question. If somebody doesn't understand or takes time to understand and accept our views, or chooses not to follow the same methodology, we must not get belligerent and engage in acrimony.

I'm afraid that some participants are not adhering to civil courtesy, decency and professionalism in their attempt to push (I'm afraid we all have some) agenda in this process. As intended beneficiaries of this USCIS ruling, some are little too desperate to follow and allow for civil discourse, and show mutual respect to each other.

Often times Gandhi, Gandhian thought or modern-day slavery is invoked in such discussions, but I don't believe we fully understand the meaning of such comparisons. Enslavement of a nation or a whole group(s) of people under sub-human condition is nothing like remunerated employment in a nation of your choice. At the root of it, we made choices to live and work in their land, plying by their rules. Granted, we must fight for what's right, or if they (USCIS) changes rules half-way through the game, but to engage in slander and name-calling of individuals, does nothing more than expose the shortcomings of your own game plan.

I risk the ire of fellow participants with this post because some of us would rather beat each other down than to engage in solid, constructive, and meaningful discussion of why our involvement is necessary.

On Being Constructive

How about a constructive meaningful discussion on why doing nothing is an excellent thing? Or one about what IV could be doing better?

Don't join IV if you don't want to -- but I hope you express your opinion to the lawmaker in your district.

I accept your choice not to act, but I have been nothing but polite through out this discussion and many others on this forum. I cannot vouch for the behavior of every single person in this discussion. And I don't think IV or anyone on this board deserves to be compared to the Nazis! ;-)

berkeleybee said:
How about a constructive meaningful discussion on why doing nothing is an excellent thing? Or one about what IV could be doing better?

Don't join IV if you don't want to -- but I hope you express your opinion to the lawmaker in your district.

I accept your choice not to act, but I have been nothing but polite through out this discussion and many others on this forum. I cannot vouch for the behavior of every single person in this discussion. And I don't think IV or anyone on this board deserves to be compared to the Nazis! ;-)
Calling some one a "poster child of passivity" counts under being polite? Guess again!

Read GC_TRAP's post again - no one is being compared to a Nazi here. 'Nuff said.

dl1cd said:
Calling some one a "poster child of passivity" counts under being polite? Guess again!

One subject header in many posts (even more if you consider all my posts on this site). That got to you huh? Well, I apologize.

But I hope in your own way you're proving me wrong and doing something about this situation. Writing an email, calling a lawmaker. I think people caught in your situation are really poster children for the EB green card retrogression problem.

And for the rest of the crew: as I said before, I'd love to have a meaningful discussion about why doing nothing is an excellent idea. Also what IV could do better.

best,
Berkeleybee

Lawyer's response on next steps

Here is the edited response from my lawyer on the next step
-----------------------------------------------------------

If the applications are significantly past the processing times and the
dates are current, getting Senatorial/Congressional assistance may produce results, but not in all cases. Mandamus is rare and very costly as it does
involve Federal Court action or at least planning of one. Congressional
assistance can be requested at any time, but recommend that we
wait at least a couple of months before doing so. This option, if
exercised early in the game, tends to backfire, since the USCIS does not particularly like to see this kind of intervention early. Before Mandamus could even be started, we must exhaust all other options and must be able to show our numerous follows, congressional assistance, huge delays, etc.

As far as security checks, that is generally the reason for the delay and
it is not necessarily just the FBI that is involved.
--------------------------------------------------------------

From this I deduce:

(a) Don't cry wolf yet - wait for a few months more (6 months?)
(b) After a few months, involve senators / congressmen
(c) If that does not produce any result, go to step (a)

Hey .. this is the same infinite loop I started this chain with .. except
the periodicity of this becomes - what - 6 months?

Saw a post the other day that some one wanted to use his Grandma's
PD .. in my case, my Grandchildren would thank me for this surely. If not
them, then my great-grandchildren.

Update - you decide

Here is an edited email response on my inquiry from CRIS:

-----------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 82521
Lincoln, NE 68501-2521

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Monday ------

Emailed to my-email-handle@my-domain.COM

Dear XXXX:

On xx/yy/zzzz you, or the designated representative shown below, contacted us about your case. Some of the key information given to us at that time was the following:

Caller indicated they are:
-- The applicant

Attorney Name:
-- Information not available

Case type:
-- I485

Filing date:
-- aa/bb/cccc

Receipt #:
-- xxx-nn-ppp-qqqq

Beneficiary (if you filed for someone else):
-- lastname, firstname

Your USCIS Account Number (A-number):
-- Axxxxxxxxx

Type of service requested:
-- Case Status - Outside Processing Time

The status of this service request is:

Looks like this case is on it's way to an officer to adjudicate. If this is the case you should hear from this office within 10 working days. If you have not heard from us by the end of March please call again.

It is the same for all family members.

If you have any further questions, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

----------------------------------------------------------

Should I deduce that FBI namecheck is cleared?
Should I deduce that the file is in a pile (think DDA office in New Delhi) 6 feet high?
Should I count the chicken before they are hatched?
Should I try the paperweight approach (ok, kidding here)
Darling you gotta let me know - should I stay or should I go,
If I go it will be trouble, if I stay it will be double :mad:

Cautious Optimism...

dl1cd,

If I were you, I'd be glad and elated but only on the inside. I would hold the high horses until you get fully adjudicated and have some stamping or card in your hand.

However, this looks very promising and end of March is right around the corner...

Good luck again, and please go slow at the bacchanalia after you receive the card...

dl1cd said:
Looks like this case is on it's way to an officer to adjudicate. If this is the case you should hear from this office within 10 working days. If you have not heard from us by the end of March please call again.

If I were you .. I would take an Infopass appointment and meet the officials in persons...

Good luck.

*smile* I hear you loud and clear

"Cautious optimism" brought me a smile because of its connection.

The language in the email could not be more vague
"looks like" .. "if that is the case" ..

Well, from where I sit, it looks like the Moon is made of cheese. If that is
the case, we should relocate there for cheap Pizza.

Yep - I know it ain't over until it is over - so, just deriving some fun at the
vagueness of the response.

Lord Bacchus does not agree with me much these days, I'd rather run a mile than take a swig - so yes, I heed the warning :)