Out of status with EAD

JaxGC

Registered Users (C)
I got EAD and my company screwed me up recently. So, soon I will be with no job. Does anyone know how long someone in my status (still waiting for GC. Oct 2001 case) be out of status?

I just want to know how soon I must jump ship in order not to jeopardize my gc!!

Thanks for all the help!!

(The last time I called the IIO, she said that my papers were filed in the wrong shelf and she would put in a request to pull it out and send to the queue. I stopped worrying on this for the time being!)

Okay you can legally change jobs after 180 days of you filing you AOS. So you won't get out of status.
Even if you are unemployed and not on your H1B that's ok because you have filed for your AOS so you can legally stay in the country.
All you need to do is find another job and jump ship.

Can there be a gap before finding the next job? For example if it take 3 months to get job with no pay stubs in between will it be a problem for getting the final green card approval??

As long as you don't get a RFE for the employment, you will be fine, without the paychecks for the employment gap. If you get the RFE and you don't have paychecks to show, you are somewhat screwed-up.

Bob

Originally posted by bbbishop
As long as you don't get a RFE for the employment, you will be fine, without the paychecks for the employment gap. If you get the RFE and you don't have paychecks to show, you are somewhat screwed-up.

Huh? There's a lot of incorrect answers here.

First, as the beneficiary of a properly filed I-485, it is not possible for you to become "out of status". You remain in status by virtue of your pending I-485, nothing more. You do not need an EAD, a job, a job offer, anything, to remain in status.

Howeer, if BCIS requests a permanent job offer, you are not "somewhat screwed-up", you are seriously screwed unless you can provide one. Don't sweat a gap of paystubs, you're allowed to not work while the I-485 is pending.

Don't worry about being out of status. Worry about being out of work, and start sending out resumes like mad.