Out of country when GC is approved

asdasd

Registered Users (C)
I have wondering about this for quite some time...

What happens if you are out of the country when the GC gets approved.....

I guess...U just come back on the basis of UR AP or the non-immigrant Visa and then have UR Passport stamped....???

:confused: :confused:

I think you are right

When I visited India this past early April, I thought my case would get approved while I was back home (being an optimistic person I am). To clarify, I talked with my lawyer and he said something similar to what you mentioned in your posting.

Hope this consolidates your opinion, but please do consult your lawyer before you travel outside the country with a pending 485 application thats too close to being approved.

Cheers
Kalyan

My case got approved while I was in India

My case got approved on July 19, 2003, while I was in India. I was unaware of the approval and used AP on 2nd Aug 2002 to get back into US. No questions were asked.

Hope this helps...

Read this interesting info

Source: http://www.immigration-law.com/Canada.html

Updated 08/06/2002: IBIS Check Rule and Need for Prompt Passport Stamping of 485 Approval

AILA inquiry with the INS HQ indicates that once EB-485 is approved and people appear at the District Offices for passport stamping of temporary evidence of permanent residence and I-89 processing for plastic card production, the District Offices need IBIS check if 35 days have passed since the IBIS check undertaken by the Service Centers passed 35 days because the IBIS check is valid only for 35 days. When the stamping can not be granted because of such problem, the District Offices are instructed to give a temporary 30-day stamping so that people can continue to work and travel. It is thus strongly suggested that the people who receive the I-797 Approval Notices appear at the District Offices as quickly as possible to avoid such problem.

So my suggestion is to appear for stamping after receiving the
approval notice to avoid further problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction

Yes, it is 19th July 2002. I left US on 15th July 2002 and my I485 got approved on 19th July 2002. I used AP on 2nd Aug 2002 to reenter US...

Thanks

Thanks a lot...

THis really helps...
It confirms my belief that it will not cause major troble, if we are out of the country when the approval comes...

:) :) :)