Original BC Lost

sertra2002

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am applying for I-485 - AOS, and I have lost the original Birth certificate. It is going to be very difficult to get a duplicate as my place of birth is in a remote place and I have no one back there to get it for me.

I do however have the photocopies of the birth certificate. I know with 485 you need to submit the copy only. My question is that is there any chance of BCIS asking for the original Birth certificate during 485, EAD or AP, FP etc., once I have submitted the copy (it is not attested) ? Does BCIS care about the original birth certificate? Has anyone got RFE for original BC ?

Thanks,

When applying BCIS may accept photocopy, but if xfer you appln. to local office during adjucation, they may expect you to produce the original.

Another option is to provide separate notorized affidavit of birth signed by father and mother and/or relative(s) who can justify through their relationship and/or age, that they have a knowledge of your birth.

For more info. on affidavit of birth : http://www.immihelp.com/

In my case, i lost my BC when i was in school. When approched the registrar of birth for new certificate, they gave one without my name and then added my name(attested by govt. authority). So my attorney used affidavit of birth, with an expectation that he can explain the new BC, if there was an RFE. Luckily, i didn't get an RFE on BC.

If you sent the photocopy now and if they as for one later, you will be in a fix. If you're from India and if you ask for a new certificate, most probably you will get one that you can't use or not acceptable to BCIS.

So, consult your attorney.