options fr green card holders to get a spouse from india

thedutt

Registered Users (C)
I am very new to this process and wanted to get to know what are the various options avilable for green card holders to get a spouce from india. I have heard that the following process takes a very long time:

1) get married in india
2) Apply for i140
3) Wait for x number of years (x usually > 4-5) for waiting list to become current
4) APply for 485 or CP (2 years or cp time)

Is the above information correct? If not, then what are the correct times? Also, Are there any other options available? e.g, spouse in US on F1/business/h1 visa etc? Any help would be greatly appricated.

Originally posted by thedutt
I am very new to this process and wanted to get to know what are the various options avilable for green card holders to get a spouce from india. I have heard that the following process takes a very long time:

1) get married in india
2) Apply for i140
3) Wait for x number of years (x usually > 4-5) for waiting list to become current
4) APply for 485 or CP (2 years or cp time)

Is the above information correct? If not, then what are the correct times? Also, Are there any other options available? e.g, spouse in US on F1/business/h1 visa etc? Any help would be greatly appricated.

After marriage you file for I-130, not I-140.

If your spouse can get H1 or L1 visa, then she can come to US. Or else she will have to wait for 4-5 years. Unfortunately she cannot get any other visa like F1, B1, etc.

Thanks for the information, I have some more questions.
What if the potential bride is already in the US on a H1 visa? If the spouse gets out of status due to some misc reason after getting married (say getting laid off), would it mean that the spouse would have to leave US as soon as he/she is out of status while his/her gc is being processed.

Thank you much for help :)

thanks everyone. that is what i had heard also and it gives me a good idea of what might be involved :)

What about the law that came around in 1992 or 1993 that allowed people in such situtation to stay in the US out of status? I remember when the law came in effect people who were waiting for their green cards through their family could stay here out of status. Does anyone have the latest information on that?