Optimisitic Namecheck Duration

exTrainer

Registered Users (C)
Now that I have found out that my application is stuck in the FBI namecheck, following two questions come to mind:

1. Is getting stuck in namecheck is a random occurrence (aside from some obvious last names like Bin Laden etc) or is there a rhyme or reason behind it. I suspect I got stuck in this because a few months after 9/11, I was flying first class on a domestic flight and was reading a book on bioterrorism (which was a best seller book around that time due to the anthrax threat) available in any bookstore. Little did I realize that a person of color (I am indian), flying first class, and reading a book on bioterrorism would raise an alarm. So I should have not been surprised when an FBI agent showed up at my door the next day. He asked to look at the book, went through it carefully looking for any hightlighting etc. Asked me if I had any other similar books. Also he asked me why I was reading that book and I replied I was curious about the current ongoings and was reading to find out more about the threat etc. I cooperated fully and even volunteered to show him my visa papers etc. Nothing happened after he left. But I am sure this should have created a record in their database (although my FOIPA request came back with no records). Are there other people with similar experiences stuck in the name check?

2. I read name check cases on this board with horrific delays in years (3 yrs, 5 yrs etc.). But is that true for all cases that go to manual namecheck? I know that 85% cases are cleared rightway electronically within 24 hours. But the remaining 15% or 5% that require some manual intervention, do they all take 3 years. Have there been cases where manual namechecks have been cleared in under 1 yr? If yes, what is the percentage of those. Just trying to think optimistically to guess how long it will take to clear my name check. I know people whose namechecks got cleared probably aren't even following the posts on this message board and board obviously has more input from those who are still stuck.

I don't think anyone would know the mysterious FBI name check process nor would they have any idea what the percentages will be other than the FBI itself.

exTrainer said:
I know that 85% cases are cleared rightway electronically within 24 hours.

I know 11 persons who are in 485 and all stuck in name checking from 6 months to 2 years, it's 100% for me.

Me and my husband filed our I485 on the same day. Both have the same education, background, last name, kids etc. My name check cleared in two months and I485 was approved a year later (2004), my husband's name check is still pending. How's that for a story? Dependent case NC pending for three years?

How do you find out your case struck with name check? do we need to call for that or any online status for that?
Thanks
udacha6 said:
Me and my husband filed our I485 on the same day. Both have the same education, background, last name, kids etc. My name check cleared in two months and I485 was approved a year later (2004), my husband's name check is still pending. How's that for a story? Dependent case NC pending for three years?

Had my interview on November 10

Hey ppl,

I had my I-485 interview on November 10, 2005. (Any ideas how long it'll take :D ) After reading many posts about ppl waiting for namechecks for over 2 and 3 years, I guess I shouldn't expect it any time soon, should I? I just don't understand how it can take that long...Do all of us have to contact our respective senators for this? :)

I wish all of us the best of luck...I wish there was a way to find out how long it'll be...But considering how long so many ppl have been waiting, it doesn't look good does it? But let's try to stay positive!

Name Check Mystery

Friends:- I have gone through almost the same circumstance and waited for my I-140 from 2003 till 2006(Feb). I did approached my congresswoman, sentors and got the same reply that it is struck due to "Name Check" and that is one way of finding, as you cannot inquire about I-140 only your employer or lawyer can do, so make a inq and have a record for the same. Email address and FAX, letters for FBI name checks do not work, its just something you can do. I have to give my finger prints twice and now they have requested another one after my I-140 approval, so I am also hoping that they can check the records and see my name check is completed but thats not how system works. One has to optimistics and one day system will work for you.(I and most of the ppl on this forum can understand how frustrating it is.....). Thr is lot written about name check and if you get a hit then it goes to manual, which basically means that you are in the mercy of a Govt Employee who dont care about your life and how much it is effecting you. This system need to be changed/Improved and you are not alone in this race of insanity.........Wish U good luck......Dont loose it...

How do you think the FBI found out about you reading a bioterrorism book? You think the flight attendant saw the book and reported it? Or did you buy it from a bookstore with a credit card, and perhaps the bookstore reported you?

How to know about the status

Dear WorryforGC,

Your name check was cleared in one day? Congratulations!

I gave my fingerprints two months ago and no new message has appeared in the online status site.

Could you tell me how you found out that your name check was cleared?

Thank you so much in advance!

How do you think the FBI found out about you reading a bioterrorism book? You think the flight attendant saw the book and reported it? Or did you buy it from a bookstore with a credit card, and perhaps the bookstore reported you?

I suspect the flight attendant must have reported it, but I did buy the book using a credit card at a local Tower records store.

Anyhow, the bottom line is whether it's because of that or something else, I am still waiting to clear the name check. Since these name checks take so long, I wonder, why the FBI don't publish processing dates similar to USCIS, so we at least know what they are working on, what they have completed etc. That should be fairly straight forward to do without compromising any security issues. Also that will take their load to respond to congressional queries initiated by the antsy prospective immigrants off. But I guess that's a suggestion for the FBI ombudsman. A quick search of their website shows however that they don't have one for public. There is one, but it's for only their internal matters.

So like everyone else I wrote letters to the state senators and the area congresswoman. The congresswoman has taken the case (so she gets my vote if I can ever vote where I pay and have been paying taxes :) ) and has initiated an inquiry with FBI. But I don't think I am gonna hear anything more that "yes, it's pending since the dinosaurs roamed the earth or whatever". The FAQs on the FBI website do say the congressional queries won't do anything to speed the processing for a case up. So I am waiting in the line.

Me, too. I asked my congressman to send an enquery o FBI and waiting for the response. I don't thin it will have any impact on the processing.

One thing I noticed on FBI's website says something like USCIS will give them priority for different cases. So this leads me to think wishfully that the fact one's Priority date became current will change the priority of the underlying NC positively, because this will better allocate their limited in-efficient resources. Hope I was right.

exTrainer said:
I suspect the flight attendant must have reported it, but I did buy the book using a credit card at a local Tower records store.

Anyhow, the bottom line is whether it's because of that or something else, I am still waiting to clear the name check. Since these name checks take so long, I wonder, why the FBI don't publish processing dates similar to USCIS, so we at least know what they are working on, what they have completed etc. That should be fairly straight forward to do without compromising any security issues. Also that will take their load to respond to congressional queries initiated by the antsy prospective immigrants off. But I guess that's a suggestion for the FBI ombudsman. A quick search of their website shows however that they don't have one for public. There is one, but it's for only their internal matters.

So like everyone else I wrote letters to the state senators and the area congresswoman. The congresswoman has taken the case (so she gets my vote if I can ever vote where I pay and have been paying taxes :) ) and has initiated an inquiry with FBI. But I don't think I am gonna hear anything more that "yes, it's pending since the dinosaurs roamed the earth or whatever". The FAQs on the FBI website do say the congressional queries won't do anything to speed the processing for a case up. So I am waiting in the line.

cool_error said:
Friends:- I have gone through almost the same circumstance and waited for my I-140 from 2003 till 2006(Feb).

I thought only 485 will have the security clearance, Does 140 also have a security clearance? I am not aware of that? thats terriable for 140 taking 3 years