OPT to HIB gap

elitsaa@umich.e

Hi,

My OPT expires at the end of May 2007 so I have 4 months gap to the new H1B quota. The company that extended an offer refused hiring on this grounds. Any ideas how I could bridge this 4 month gap if possible at all (without relying on the Congress)?

Thank you very much!

Opt to HI gap

Hello, I can't give you any advice here but I sympatise with your problem - I am currently working on my J1 work experience and my employer is offering me an H1 but cannot apply until April 1st for work in October - my visa ends on 3rd March. I actually visited the USCIS offices and they advised me to "extend my stay" but they were not clear on how to do that. I believe that as long as an H1 application is being processed then you are legal to stay in the US but of course as soom as it is approved then how do you stay between then and October. If you have any ideas let me know and I will do the same.

elitsaa@umich.e said:
Hi,

My OPT expires at the end of May 2007 so I have 4 months gap to the new H1B quota. The company that extended an offer refused hiring on this grounds. Any ideas how I could bridge this 4 month gap if possible at all (without relying on the Congress)?

Thank you very much!

i would suggest speaking to a lawyer.
here are some of my own suggestions:

- try get onto a masters/phd or any higher degree program, apply for full time CPT and then try converting your f-1 to an h-1.

- i think there may be some smaller institutions that offer diplomas/certifications of some sort that admit international students and also offer CPT.

the only other alternative would be to start looking for another company that would take you straight from October.

good luck and keep us in touch of what happens

I am exactly in the same boat, and have a pending offer from a major investment bank. After doing some research, I found the best solution tham I am going to propose to my prospective employer. Since, they have an office in London, UK I could work there until October and as far as I know it takes only about 1 or 2 weeks to get a UK work permit. So, hopefully it would be suitable for them. Otherwise, I could register for some summer classes at local college thus getting a new I-20 that allows legally staying in US. However, it is illegal to work for the company even for free during this period. Please, let me know if you have better ideas.

OPT to H1

I am in my OPT and would be applying for H1 only by April 2007. I would like goto india sometime next year and my OPT expires on June 24th 2007.If i can get an admission from any university for masters or Phd,will it be possible for me to goto india and re-enter in F1 status.