OPT to H-1B

nima

1.My OPT expires July 5th 2007, i got a job recently, so could not apply for H-1B this year. If i apply for H-1 in April 2007 (i.e., the earliest date of application), when can i expect the H-1?
2. Can i put the start date as August rather than october 2007?(since i have 60 day grace period after OPT expires)
3. How exactly does the H-1 work? if i apply in April'07, is oct.2007 the earliest i can start?
4. since my OPT expires in July'07, will i be out of status? (since the H-1 doesn't start till Oct'07)
5. can i still be employed in the transition period from expiration of OPT to start date of H-1?

would be helpful if some one answers my q's-thank you

i am in a similar situation and also looking for answers to the same questions .. can someone pls help us ?

nima said:
1.My OPT expires July 5th 2007, i got a job recently, so could not apply for H-1B this year. If i apply for H-1 in April 2007 (i.e., the earliest date of application), when can i expect the H-1?
In a few months, but it does not matter as H1 gets valid only after Oct.
2. Can i put the start date as August rather than october 2007?(since i have 60 day grace period after OPT expires)
No. Oct is the earliest start month.
3. How exactly does the H-1 work? if i apply in April'07, is oct.2007 the earliest i can start?
Correct.
4. since my OPT expires in July'07, will i be out of status? (since the H-1 doesn't start till Oct'07)
If your H1 is still pending, not out of status, but as soon as your H1 is approved(or denied), you'll go out of status unless you are in grace period.
5. can i still be employed in the transition period from expiration of OPT to start date of H-1?
It is illegal employment if you do not have proper work authorization.