OPT Question (working illegaly for years)

Remember a GC ( and citizenship) can be revoked. You will never be 100% safe with your illegal acts in your past.

Thanks for your "concern" (pun intended), but there are only three reasons that are grounds for GC revocation:

1. A serious crime.
2. Abandonment.
3. Fraud on Green Card application.

I am a law abiding citizen - so point 1 is out of the question. I love this country and have been staying here without breaks for over a decade, and plan on doing so till I get my citizenship and beyond, so point 2 is taken care of. And I never lied on my Green Card application - if you read this thread, you'll see that I was well in status when filling out my GC documents (thanks to the lawful admission immediately prior to the said application). Bottom line is - I've got all my bases covered - and the biggest legal hurdle where things could have gone wrong was getting my H1 - anything after that was just a formality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys my situation is something similar..I am full time student at my university. I worked in Summer for 40 hours on a CPT from a different employer without changing since my school said they would take about 3 weeks due to lot of applicants and by which time the Summer would end. Again 1 week I worked illegally without any authorization and currently working for 40 hours on a part time CPT and I have applied for a POST opt recently..Still waiting to get receipt number..After looking at your posts Im getting a little confidence...May GOD help me..Please tell me if I will be getting my OPT without any obstacles.. I will share my experience once I get my OPT approved..

I completely forgot about this thread. It's been almost 9 years since I posted it. But just to give everyone an update, I've finally gotten my citizenship half a year ago.

@Anonymous1234, I really don't know the details of your situation. The main point of my original post was that you can in a way 'reset' your bad record by exiting and re-entering the country.

I completely forgot about this thread. It's been almost 9 years since I posted it. But just to give everyone an update, I've finally gotten my citizenship half a year ago.

@Anonymous1234, I really don't know the details of your situation. The main point of my original post was that you can in a way 'reset' your bad record by exiting and re-entering the country.

Hello, I am hoping you are still on this forum, I am in similar position as you, now processing GC, did you have to submit tax returns for GC process? Was it employment based? Please answer! Thank you.

Just to give everybody an update (3 years after I made the original post :) ).

I got my OPT no problem, followed by H1-B (through consular processing going back to my country). Currently waiting for my Green Card approval (filed concurrent I-140/1-485 a while back).

So far so good - hope things worked out as well for the other posters.
Just to give everybody an update (3 years after I made the original post :) ).

I got my OPT no problem, followed by H1-B (through consular processing going back to my country). Currently waiting for my Green Card approval (filed concurrent I-140/1-485 a while back).

So far so good - hope things worked out as well for the other posters.

enlightened
Hello, I'm glad you reached your goals. My case is similar to yours.
I moved here just 1 year ago and will start my master's soon. Unfortunately, I used my SSN a few times and made a few thousands in total. I'll apply for OPT eventually. I'm told that when they investigate my case, they'll notice that I worked illegally and revoke my application. I'm so worried now and don't know what to do. They'll once notice that, it might end up with deportation and all my exertion might be for nothing!
Any experience is appreciated.

No one will be investigating anything. If you applied for OPT, it'll be approved, as long as you're officially in F-1 status. USCIS doesn't have any access to your taxes, only IRS does. I'd say 99% that you're all set, based on what you told in your post.
Well, I wish it happens as you said but I talked to the some lawyers and researched on internet. According to them, yes they investigate but it depends on the officer who takes care of the case. The lawyer I talked to told me that I've seen happy ending as much sad endings. But I met some people in my situation and got their OPT. It's so complicated. How's your experience Yasav? Did you have the same issue?

I have worked using SSN since 2002 during F1 status, I received 3 EADs during my AS, BS & Masers level. They do not look into it for OPT but for AOS to PR, that's different story.

enlightened
Hello, I'm glad you reached your goals. My case is similar to yours.
I moved here just 1 year ago and will start my master's soon. Unfortunately, I used my SSN a few times and made a few thousands in total. I'll apply for OPT eventually. I'm told that when they investigate my case, they'll notice that I worked illegally and revoke my application. I'm so worried now and don't know what to do. They'll once notice that, it might end up with deportation and all my exertion might be for nothing!
Any experience is appreciated.
Hey! Have you got any updates on your OPT? Did they approve your OPT at the end? My case is somewhat similar as yours. I used my SSN once for off campus job and worked for several months before I realize this is illegal. Now Im worrying that I can't get my OPT with this record. Will they know you worked illegally when you apply for OPT? Please give me whatever advice or experience you had! Im so worried now!