OPT process length at Texas Service Center??

aayusu01

Registered Users (C)
I am an F-1 student that applied for OPT. The Texas Service Center sent me a receipt and SRC number on April 28. I will start work in June 14; is there any way to expedite the process? My employer sent a letter to expedite the process to the Texas Center. Do you think I will receive my EAD card before that?

I am thinking of calling immigration to look up my case. Please let me know your thoughts on this matter.

Processing time varies a lot depending on which service center and the officer you get. USCIS recommends at least 90 days for processing, but they are not bound by any specific timeline for issuance of your EAD.

From my experience, Post-Graduation OPT takes longer to process. Which type of OPT are you applying for?

Hi All,
I've applied for OPT on April 24, 2009 at Texas Service Center and my start date was May 21, 2009 but have not received authorization yet. I also got a offer from university with a start date of june 16. Could somebody tell me if I can expedite this process at TSC? If expedition is not possible then how long should I wait to get authorization?

I am applying for a post-graduation OPT. It has been a month already and my employer is wondering whether if I should work or not because the EAD card has not arrived yet. I am really nervous 'cause I will start work in 2 weeks! I will call immigration today and see what can be done. What has other people experiences been like?

Thank you.

NKaur, I think you can expedite the process if you call 1800-375-5283 and say you need to expedite because of financial reasons or that you will lose the job offer. This is what I am going to do! Maybe it will work (fingers crossed) Will you start your job in May?

The expediting process is solely discretionary, but certainly it can't hurt anything by requesting it especially with a job offer and a start date.

aayusu01, you cannot start working without receiving the Employment Authorization. In fact, if the processing center is really backed up and the approval date is later than your request start date, you will notice the start date on the EAD card is changed to the later approval date.

The only thing you can do is to wait at this point.

OPT expedition

Hi All,

I can't work until I go through my OPT. I've been told by national immigration center that I would be getting email/call from TSC soon regarding expedition.
But I heard from my International School that TSC doesn't expedite OPT. I will update my case if I get any call. Thanks everybody and Good Luck to all for getting EAD card soon.

I wonder if we can work before getting EAD card in hand but with approved OPT?

Nkaur,

I expedited my OPT and got a letter saying that they are working on it. I am in the same situation like because I need to work in two weeks. I do not know if it is possible to work with approved OPT (with no EAD card).

I feel that the TSC works very slow. We need to pray a lot to get this card on time!

opt

Hi Ayusu,

Thats great !!! TSC is expediting your process. Could you please let me know how did you contact TSC (which number) and what did you tell exactly to immigration officer. Because I remember when I called USCIS at 1800-375-5283 they gave 5-6 options to choose for the expedition. I don't know whether I've chose right option. But I believe I told them that I got an offer but don't have OPT yet. Please let me know your updates. I might get contacted today. Thats what they say. Thanks

Hi Nkaur,

To expedite the process, I called the TCS at 1800-375-5283. I chose the first option for expedite, which was severe financial loss to individual and company. I told them that I start work in two weeks. I also said that if I dont get hte EAD card, then my boss will sack me and I will lose my job. I also said that I am need of this job and this is the only way I can support myself. Convince the immgration officer that you will start work very soon and that you need the card ASAP. That's what I did. Good luck on your OPT process. Let me know how it goes!

Hi

Hi,

I called at the same number but choose different option (situation interest to non profit organization) and I've been told that they will contact me in five days which was no later than today. But I didn't get any email/mail from USCIS. How did they contact you for expedition and after how long?

Did you receive your OPT yet? Please let me know. Do you mind if we could talk on phone b/c I need a quick favor. Please send me your phone number at nkuark@gmail.com . I'll wait. thank you very much

The TX center receive my case on Apr 1st, but till now I did not receive anything from them. Do I need to call them? I got an offer and my boss had waited for two months.

Ken

OPT delay

Hey ken_oy ,
I am also in the same situation like yours. My receipt date on OPT application is April 6th 2009 and haven't heard anything from USCSI. We submitted to Texas service center. Keep me posted!

expedite request denied

@aayusu01 and @nkaur,
I am in a similar situation to you guys and I phoned up customer service and made a service request under criteria 1 "emergent situation" and stated the same items as you mentioned...like have a job and may lose this offer if I don't get the EAD card etc...but this request was denied last week stating I didnt provide any supporting document for my claim. Did you fax any doc and please let me know how you did? I am so stressed and may lose my job due to this. My receipt date is Arp6th and today (june 10, 2009) is my 65th day. I would appreciate if you or nkaur write to me about this since you guys have first-hand experience. Thanks in advance!

Hey

Can you tell me about the expedite process for OPT EAD card? I called the USCIS customer care 2 days back and I gave the option 1(financial loss for myself and organization) and I was told I will be contacted in 5 days for more details on the reason for expedite process request. I am currently waiting to recevie the call. I was not instructed to provide/fax any supporting documents. Can I know what and how exactly it works at TSC?

I am currently working and since this was an unexpected graduation, I was not able to plan ahead and apply for my EAD. I should be on vacation (cannot resume working until I get my EAD) and cannot work. Since June 26th, the status says 'Intial Review' and my CPT ends on July 24th. Is it possible to get my EAD by August 14th?

Can anyone help me in explaining how it happens in TSC?

I hope you get it soon. I contacted them to expedite it too after which they replied that there is a proper process of background check and other things and without that it won't get to me right away. I contacted them the next day I applied for I-20. Surprisingly, I received my OPT card before I received my receipt.

Hi rkasivi,

I have the same case as you had for OPT application. Could you please tell me after you gave the expedite request, in how many days you received the notification from the USCIS about the expedite request. They say it will reach you in 5 days, I am still waiting for the same and i am not sure what would be there on that mail. do they ask for any documents or they only says that expedite request accepted or rejected?

Please let me know.
Thanks

Hey

Can you tell me about the expedite process for OPT EAD card? I called the USCIS customer care 2 days back and I gave the option 1(financial loss for myself and organization) and I was told I will be contacted in 5 days for more details on the reason for expedite process request. I am currently waiting to recevie the call. I was not instructed to provide/fax any supporting documents. Can I know what and how exactly it works at TSC?

I am currently working and since this was an unexpected graduation, I was not able to plan ahead and apply for my EAD. I should be on vacation (cannot resume working until I get my EAD) and cannot work. Since June 26th, the status says 'Intial Review' and my CPT ends on July 24th. Is it possible to get my EAD by August 14th?

Can anyone help me in explaining how it happens in TSC?

Can we expedite OPT process?

I received OPT receipt number almost 2 months back. I am 2 weeks late to join my job. Can i expedite OPT process? My case was sent to texas center. The office of international education at university says to wait.
@ rkasivi, did it work for you? Did you receive any call for further documents?
thank you

Last edited by a moderator: