OPT JOB and Canada Visit

Bobby11

Registered Users (C)
Dear all:

My wife is having OPT Card starting Sept 04 and valid upto Sept 05. She has done MS in Microbiology. Her F1 has expired.

1) Can she work in a company NOT related to her major Microbiology on OPT?

2) We have got VISA for Canadian Immigration. Can she come back from Canada on her OPT in case (a) with job offer letter and (b) without job offer letter. Remember, her F1 has expired.

3) I am also on F1 doing my PhD. I have done MS before on F1 then work on H1 and now again on F1. Can I also enter to USA from Canada, WITHOUT getting F1 stamped and just on my F1 approval notice and I-94 attached with it.

Thank you all for reading/replying this.

This site is great, lets keep it like that by adding our experience and answers.

B.

Opt

Bobby11 said:
Dear all:

My wife is having OPT Card starting Sept 04 and valid upto Sept 05. She has done MS in Microbiology. Her F1 has expired.

1) Can she work in a company NOT related to her major Microbiology on OPT?

It is not advisable
2) We have got VISA for Canadian Immigration. Can she come back from Canada on her OPT in case (a) with job offer letter and (b) without job offer letter. Remember, her F1 has expired.
Once F1 is expired, there is risk in re-entry. Optional practical training is a privilage and not a right to stay in US. POE deny your re-entry. because this optional practical training you may get it in your country
3) I am also on F1 doing my PhD. I have done MS before on F1 then work on H1 and now again on F1. Can I also enter to USA from Canada, WITHOUT getting F1 stamped and just on my F1 approval notice and I-94 attached with it.
You can not enter US with out a F1 stamped in your PP. Because you do not have any multiple entry visa in your PP. (Your H1 is already gone by the approval of new F1) F1 approval notice with I 94 at bottom allow you to stay in US with status. It is not a travel document.
Best thing is get H1 for your spouse, you may get F1 stamped in Canada, and go for Canada PR.

Thank you all for reading/replying this.

This site is great, lets keep it like that by adding our experience and answers.

B.

Thanks Guru,

One last confusion:

My friend went to Canada for PR and came back after 3 days. He was having H1 approval notice with I-94 at the bottom. He entered back to USA on that and NOT H1 stamped in passport.

Since I am on F1 (with approval notice) I cannot do that?