OPT Application while on Pending Asylum EAD on hand

Weeam

Guys I didn’t go to the interview for the asylum yet, I am still waiting for it.
Does that make any changes in my situation??
Since I will receive OPT EAD card?

Tomorrow I will go to speak with the international office to see what are my options!
I think your situation is very unique and most people might not come cross these kinda cases and everyone here been talking based on facts, but you will never knew maybe they put an end for your asylum EAD and now you’re able to use your OPT EAD! Def consult with a reliable and experienced attorney and make sure to make your next steps thoughtfully. Sending good vibes your way.
Please keep us updated what your attorney suggests. I’m really hoping everything is going well so you can work with your OPT.

tinaina

Tomorrow I will go to speak with the international office to see what are my options!
You may not violated your student status.
As student shouldn't work more than 20 hours and using EAD card based asylum they do and they lose their status but you didn't. You only worked 20 hours.
Let us know what happened when you talk to your DSO.

Last edited:

Weeam

Hi Guys
The international office contacted more than an immigration attorney and the response was “no one can help me if my status in USCIS is going to be f1 or asylum EAD”. The attorney suggested that I should stop working until get my OPT card than start working based on it.
And they said we will find out about my status when I try to change my status to another visa, and then they can argue with USCIS that I didn’t use my EAD card asylum based since I followed the restrictions of F1 visa as I worked on campus only and less than 20 hours per week.

Hi Guys
The international office contacted more than an immigration attorney and the response was “no one can help me if my status in USCIS is going to be f1 or asylum EAD”. The attorney suggested that I should stop working until get my OPT card than start working based on it.
And they said we will find out about my status when I try to change my status to another visa, and then they can argue with USCIS that I didn’t use my EAD card asylum based since I followed the restrictions of F1 visa as I worked on campus only and less than 20 hours per week.
Using asylum EAD is considered "authorized" work, and violating F1 specifically mentions having "unauthorized" work. To maintain F1 you should keep enrolled full time, and using EAD for work full time out campus will not violate your F1 if you kept full time enrollment in the same program listed on you I-20.

Last edited: