OPT application question. Urgent!

jack_xie

Registered Users (C)
I changed from H-4 status to F-1 on Januray 2005 and the I-20 was approved on March 2005. I have studied full-time at college since August 2003. I graduated in August 2005 and I applied for OPT at the end of July. The ISSO advisor from my school said it has no problem to get OPT approved since 9-month requirement is for full-time study, not for F-1. Since I have studied full-time more than 9-month, I am eligible to get OPT. But from the website, 9-month F1 study is the minimum requirement. Anybody who knows this situation replies to me, pls.

Tons of thanks.

jack_xie said:
I changed from H-4 status to F-1 on Januray 2005 and the I-20 was approved on March 2005. I have studied full-time at college since August 2003. I graduated in August 2005 and I applied for OPT at the end of July. The ISSO advisor from my school said it has no problem to get OPT approved since 9-month requirement is for full-time study, not for F-1. Since I have studied full-time more than 9-month, I am eligible to get OPT. But from the website, 9-month F1 study is the minimum requirement. Anybody who knows this situation replies to me, pls.

Tons of thanks.

Well though I havent seen anyone in the situation as you are in, I dont think there should be a problem for you to get an OPT. I know on the I-20 and website it mentions you to be in 9 month F-1 full time status, I think thats for those people who wants OPT before graduation. In your situation you have finished your coursework requirements to graduate, therefore you shouldn't be in trouble to get the OPT card.

You got your approval notice in January. What does it mean you got your I20 approved in March? Means you got your endrosed I20 in march after the approval notice which came in January. Why i ask this is, I got my approval notice, but havent received the endrosed I20 yet and it will be great to know if you can tell me how long it took for you to get the endrosed I20.
Also a full time status requirement is enough for OPT. You don't need to be on F1 for 9 months, as long as you were registered full time while on H4 thats good enough. Thats what my ISO also tells me.

rj289 said:
You got your approval notice in January. What does it mean you got your I20 approved in March? Means you got your endrosed I20 in march after the approval notice which came in January. Why i ask this is, I got my approval notice, but havent received the endrosed I20 yet and it will be great to know if you can tell me how long it took for you to get the endrosed I20.
Also a full time status requirement is enough for OPT. You don't need to be on F1 for 9 months, as long as you were registered full time while on H4 thats good enough. Thats what my ISO also tells me.

I got my approval notice at the end of February and the endorsed I20 came two weeks after the approval notice. Don't worry. Yours is on the way. As to the OPT requirement, I am worried about the 9-month F1 requirement because some schools say that way. Hope it works for me! Good luck to you.

OPT approved

Finally it was approved today. Anybody knows how long it takes to get the actual card? Can I work without the actual Card?

hi jack, did they ask u to get finger print

hi jack did they asked you to get appointment finger printing. please let me know, i am waiting with the job offer, my application date is on 08/01/05.
but still opt has not yet sent.

Interim Ead

Anyone has an idea about how the dallas office is about issuing interim EAD for approved cases?

Please help.

Fingerprint is not needed for F1 OPT

raradhya said:
hi jack did they asked you to get appointment finger printing. please let me know, i am waiting with the job offer, my application date is on 08/01/05.
but still opt has not yet sent.
No finger print is needed. Never heard of that stuff for F1 OPT.