opinions...

impactnow,

This was an extremely random thread, with some bizzare posts added to spice it up.

If you don't mind, could you make your thread heading more explicit so that people not interested in reading off topic, tangential threads can skip and move on to threads that they come to the board for?

Thanks!

About the greencard being worth it or not, I've been seriously comtemplating the changes that are taking place here in this country. For I see one thing for sure, this is the beginning of the decline of US as a "superpower". Exactly like what happened to Europe before WW2.
Economy is certainly the backbone of being a superpower and there's a continuing trend in economy which continues to show a decline. With new immigration laws, amendments that will take place once it's DHS. We will certainly see changes in immigration (a measure to curb rising population or steep growth).
US's economic "culture" is grossly capitalistic - while you make good money in your youth, you may spend a great deal on medical benifits in your old-age (when everyone is claiming, it's not insurance).
The societal conscience still overrides the constitution and it's amendments so if you noticed, there is some self-censorship if not "censorship by the govt.". The society also lacks an understanding of the "world-affairs". While universities are good, middle & high schools are not. Freedom without responsibility is malious.
The reason for an influx of immigrants to the US so far, having been the lack of a so called "classless" society (which exists in UK or elsewhere) will develop over a few generations in the US and is a different phenomenon here. Personally, I see Canada or Europe could be good alternatives to living in the US, in the time to come.

TheWho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us assume you are right..

then it makes all the more sense that you stay here (US) and work you ass of and make hay while the sun shines. With the deniros you have made you can retire to India/Mexico/Timbaktu/whereever when the days of gloom, you predict descend on the US economy

Canada a better alternative to the US ? You Kiddin', right ? My friend, the Canadian economy is so intertwined with the US that they will be down even before the US..

TPK

from unknown source

The Secretary of DHS announced that the DHS would start the immigration adjudications and services function on March 1, 2003. Pending the transition, the adjudications of nonimmigrant and immigrant cases at the field offices have remained de fact halt or at snail pace. Despite the INS HQ announcement that I-485 freeze had been lifted, the Service Centers' processing times reports reflect that EB-485 remains at halt except a handful of cases that have been transferred to the local district offices. Additionally, for an unknown reasons, the Service Centers have been adjudicating non-skilled workers cases for both I-140 (EB-3GW) petitions and I-129 nonimmigrant petitions (such as H-2A and H-2B) and the immigrant and nonimmigrant petitions for professional occupations such as I-140 in EB-1, EB-2, EB-31 and I-129 (H-1B) show a snail-pace of adjudications.
There is no confirmed information about the sources of this continuing freeze or halt or snail-pace adjudication of certain types of cases, but it is obvious that certain types of cases, especially I-485, I-129 H-1B, I-140, will not move ahead in a speed which the immigrant community wants to see pending the transition. Apparently, such dragnet is not limited to the Service Centers. Reportedly, the on-going special registrations take away a substantial amount of the local INS district offices' adjudication resources, and probably until the special registration is over on March 28, 2003, the adjudication at the local district offices is also expected to experience a substantial slow-down.
One good news is looming up, though. Unconfirmed sources indicate that the family-based I-130/I-485 and naturalization cases will be taken away from the local district offices to the Missouri Service Center as early as June 2003. Currently these cases are filed at the local INS district offices. Once this change takes place, the local district offices' function may be restricted to interview and fingerprinting when it comes to the immigration services function. The nationalization of processing of the family-based green card applications and naturalization applications will at least remove a long line of people on the ground of the government buildings in the dawn and in the cold and in the heat.